Meaningful

*authors note*

Sexual content

I could feel my jaw drop.

He knows.

I quickly tried to recover my composure.

"What are you-"

Glen cut me off, rolling his eyes irritably. "I don't understand why everyone always underestimates me." His grip around my waist pulled me even closer to him. I tried not to gag from the contact. "I've known for years. It was kind of obvious every time my father wanted to include Kai in my family's vacations or any of our affairs. Not to mention, as much as I hate to admit it, but there's a lot of similarities only my fathers sons would have. It was easy enough to piece everything together. But you still haven't answered my question."

I couldn't help myself.

"So you've known for so long but you never told him? Don't you realize how lonely he must've been all these years? Don't you care about how that might make him feel?" I realized my voice was getting louder and quickly adjusted it when I noticed people were starting to pay attention to us.

But looking at the cold calculated stare Glen was giving me, I got the impression that my words didn't make sense to him.

His lack of empathy was very alarming. "We may have a biological connection but we couldn't be further from calling each other family. He's my fathers bastard, that's all." His calm tone scared me.

How can someone be so heartless?

Glen continued. "But why does it matter to you? It's not like you could ever have a future with him. Surely you've figured that out by now, right?" He sneered at me.

I struggled to speak up. "I don't- we're not- Kai is my friend, I care about him but it's not like-"

Glen laughed.

"That's what I thought. He hasn't even told you yet." He paused to gloat at the confused look on my face.

"I bet you will probably have a couple more weeks with him before people start to catch on." He stopped again.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

We were hardly dancing now, just slowly swaying in the middle of the dance floor, caught up in our conversation.

"Haven't you ever wondered why he doesn't ask you for anything more serious? More commitment? More than just friends?" When Glen noticed I kept my expression blank, guarded, he continued. "Anyone who wants to join the Carisi family and it's dealings has to go through a very... arduous initiation period. No ones excluded, even Kai and myself had to have ours."

"Like a gang initiation?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

He grinned condescendingly. "Yes, like a gang initiation. Very good."

I shut my mouth to hold back my tongue from saying something I would regret.

"For the men, it's usually something like stealing something worth value or killing someone or getting the shit kicked out of you by older members of the family. But for the women..." he trailed off again, his eyes traveling downwards, as if he was trying to peer down the front of my dress.

I shivered under his gross gaze.

"Basically any woman who wants to be a part of this family, has to go through any and all the male members for permission."

"That doesn't sound so-"

Glen shook his head. "They get beaten, raped. Passed around like rag dolls. And even if they can survive all that, the one man they did it all for usually finds them disgusting whores after. So they did all that for nothing. But I can tell, you wouldn't last five minutes into an initiation."