Revelations

Kai's POV

"He knows." Evie looked up at me with fear in her bright green eyes.

"Knows what?" Her worries were starting to effect me too.

"That you're brothers." It was almost too hard to hear her over the orchestra playing.

My blood ran cold.

How could Glen know that?

"He said he's known for years and... and..." her trembling voice trailed off.

"And what?" I reached a thumb up to stroke her cheek softly.

She bit her full bottom lip, avoiding my eyes.

"He told me about the initiations." She admitted.

I clenched my jaw tight.

I never wanted Evie to find out about that.

I wanted just a little more time with her to myself.

Before I have to let her go.

I held her closer, thinking of what I could possibly say to soothe her worries.

"Evie, I-"

"It's okay. You don't have to explain."

"No, you deserve one. I didn't tell you about that, because I realized I could never put you through it." I paused, taking a deep breath.

I didn't think I'd have to have this conversation on my birthday but there's no stopping it now.

"Evie I'm sorry. I'm a selfish son of a bitch and you deserve better. You deserve a man who you can grow with, be proud of and will cherish you they way you should be." This was hurting more than I expected. I felt a tightness in my chest, an unfamiliar feeling.

Her eyes were getting shiny again, tears welling up and any moment they would spill over, because of me.

How do I always make her cry?

I pressed my lips to her forehead, breathing in the scent of her hair and committing it to memory.

Finally, after a long moment, we let go.

"I don't care." She said.

I looked at her, slowly shaking my head.

No, I can't let her do this.

"Evie, no."

"Please, let me finish." She pressed her warm hand against my chest, I nodded. "I get it. I'm no one's first pick-"

How can she say that about herself so calmly?

"And I accepted that a long time ago. That there's never really been anything remarkable about me and it's fine. I got used to it long ago." I covered my hand over hers, so she could feel my heart beating.

She continued. "But ever since I met you Kai, you've made me feel like I am special. Like I matter. And maybe I'm selfish too, or just messed up or desperate. But if it's all the same, can we please just go back to pretending? Like, being just friends? Please? I promise I won't cause any trouble for you, and when you say it's over, I won't cry or complain-" her voice cracked.

I hugged her tight.

God this woman is a saint. But I can't let her do this.