So Good

We fell asleep soon after I asked him to stay, Kai holding me so my back was to his front, molding my body to fit his snuggly. I used his arm like a pillow as his other arm came around and wrapped around my middle tight. It didn't take long for him to pass out, I'm sure his injuries made him exhausted already.

I was woken up suddenly, unsure what time it is but knew it was still the same night. The bright, intrusive city lights providing just enough illumination to the room.

Kai wasn't draped over my body anymore but had rolled over and was on his back, head tossing and turning. His hair which always looks sleek and straight normally was plastered around his face with sweat. He was breathing hard and fast, his chest rising and falling rapidly, and his lids were fluttering but never opened all the way.

But that's not what woke me up.

He was crying out in his sleep. Painful sounding moans spilling from his lips. An occasional grunt sound in between the moaning. He was caught in a nightmare it seems.

I reached over and tried to gently shake him out of it. My hand shot back after touching his burning skin, he was feverish now.

Fuck.

I rushed out of bed and ran to the bathroom and grabbed a washcloth to run under the sink.

When I came back, he had gravitated to the middle of my bed, arms spread out like he was trying to grab hold of something, his hands clenching and unclenching the sheets. I crept next to him and softly wiped the sweat from his face, being careful not to reopen any of his cuts, even though he was currently gnawing on his lip, drawing in fresh blood.

He started muttering under his breath, his voice so low and the words unrecognizable I just couldn't understand him. I leaned in closer to his mouth, straining my ears to hear him better.

"Stop..." was all I could make out.

Suddenly he reached out, hand snapping up to wrap around my neck so fast and steady. His fight or flight instincts kicking into full gear. His eyes finally opened, but he wasn't actually seeing me. Instead it was like he saw through me and was looking at whatever it was that was scaring him in his dreams.

The hand around my neck was tightening it's grip threateningly but I could still breathe thankfully. For now.

I tapped his arm urgently and tried to pry open his fingers to release me.

I struggled to find my voice to speak up. "Kai- please." I begged him to wake up and let me go.

I started hitting his shoulder a little forcefully, still struggling against him feebly, my nails digging into his arm.

The slow lack of oxygen to my brain was starting to make me dizzy.

I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out for.

I tried hitting him one last time with all the strength I could muster.

I slapped him hard across his bruised face, snapping him out of his waking nightmare.

He finally relinquished his iron grip on me. I doubled over on the bed, gasping for air, clutching my neck and massaging the sore skin.

"Eve. Evie? What-" He snapped out of his sleepy state, rubbing his cheek where my handprint left a reddening mark.

He took one look down at me and immediately jumped off the bed, kneeling on the floor next to me but not touching me.

Through the haze clouding my brain I could hear him speaking to me. "Hey, look at me. Can you hear me, Sweetheart?"