8: Are You There? Part 1

Nao fastened his jumpsuit up to the waist before getting frustrated with it. The material was supposed to be super protective and rip-proof but it was super stiff. He hadn't drawn a picture or handed over a photo for his hero costume, he just asked for something practical that worked with his quirk. The designer must either have a psychic quirk or had seen him around the campus because the jumpsuit was exactly the same colour as his hair just several shades lighter. 

Everyone was getting dressed and eagerly chatting about the training today, so Nao decided to jump in. "You think we'll be doing more combat training? Gotta, say, that's my favorite part." Kirishima said as he adjusted his boots. 

"One should not focus solely on combat! We must save those in need, first and foremost!" Iida said matter-of-factly. A groan rang out among the 1-A boys. They were all used to Iida's rants and Midoriya was the only one who tolerated them at this point. And that's just because he was too polite. 

"You can do all my combat drills then, if All Might tells me one more time that I need more upper body strength I'm squishing him." Nao joked. A few chuckles and 'I relate' s were thrown around. 

"By the way, what would it look like if you used the shrinking bubbles on a person?" Kaminari asked excitedly. 

"Uh, imagine being forced into a space of a melon? For reference, most of your bones are longer than a melon." The lavender haired teen said with a smirk. Kaminari paled and looked a little sick. No one had expected such a deadly ability from Nao's quirk seeing as it wasn't particularly offensive. 

Nao didn't usually get a chance to talk to Kaminari or Kirishima, they had attached themselves to Bakugou and as a member of the opposing faction they didn't usually talk. Nao wondered if he was the only one who could see the class divide along the line of Bakugou vs Midoriya or if he was just crazy. Ever since their fight people began picking sides. Technically Todoroki should have his own side given he's on top of the class but he kept to himself. 

After Iida had mistaken him for a girl and gotten bubble tea with him as an apology Nao had been sort of adopted by Midoriya's group. It was great, Nao hadn't had any friends since 6th grade, but it also meant that he had involuntarily picked a side. 

The bus ride was...eventful. Midoriya looked like he was about to have a breakdown and a half, most of the class was awkwardly silent and Bakugou got teased. Nao had taken the opportunity to sit near Todoroki in hopes they could become friends. After all, he had saved his face just 20 hours earlier. 

"So uh, thanks again!" Nao finished his tiny 'thank you for not letting them seal my tear ducts closed' speech. Todoroki's indifferent gaze seemed somewhat annoyed as he nodded in acknowledgement. 

"You are welcome. However," The peppermint teen said, glaring holes through Nao "You'll never become a hero if you can't even defend yourself.". Nao fought the urge to wince at his classmate's words. He and Aizawa had a whole conversation about what happened after the police interviewed him. It was mostly about how he shouldn't be afraid to defend himself just because of that one incident. 

Speaking of incidents, Nao was only left with a small bandage on his cheek now and it would probably be off by the end of the day. Recovery Girl's quirk really was awesome. Slowly Nao shrunk back into his seat with a brief nod. 

The bus pulled up to a massive dome like structure and stopped. Eagerly class 1-A filed out of it and towards the entrance. 

Soon they were inside and whispering in anticipation. "Welcome to the U.S.J!" A weird astronaut announced as they entered the ridiculously massive building. Nao's eyes went wide as he looked around at the maps and cameras around him. He was going to ask who the hero was until both Midoriya and Uraraka said something about 'Thirteen'. "We have a simulated environment for everything, the shipwreck zone, mountain zone, landslide zone, the wind zone and a couple more. Now! Let's get started 1-A!" The hero cheered.