16: What Did I Do?

"So, are you ready for the exam tomorrow?" Yamada asked with a wide smile. Nao set down his chopsticks for a moment and nodded. 

"Yep!" He said with a smile "I think since training with Shinso my fighting's improved a lot. I'm nervous as hell obviously, but I think I'll pass.". 

"You'd better." Aizawa said with a smile "I didn't put all that effort in just to have you fail. Besides, I don't want to have to hire a babysitter if you don't go to the lodge.". Yamada nearly spat out all the water he was drinking and burst out laughing. Nao pouted. 

"You do realize I'm almost 15 right?" He huffed "My birthday is during the lodge trip! I don't need a babysitter. I told you the crying is just genetic!". Yamada continued chuckling and attempting to apologize for it. Aizawa smirked like he didn't regret the comment in the slightest. To be fair it was worth it. 

The household had been running so smoothly recently. It was like some daydream come true for Shouta to have a fiancée and a son. And he did truly consider Nao to be his son now. The two were incredibly dissimilar both inside and out but there were some similarities. Both enjoy small cozy spaces, cats and Yamada. Before long Shouta figured Nao would have a scar on his face to match his foster fathers with the amount of times he's been hurt there. He could envision a future, much like he had the day Nao came clean about his home life. Shouta couldn't wait to stand there as both Nao's teacher and parent when he graduated, when he got his license, when he officially adopted him and of course at his and Hizashi's wedding. That was a foreign thought to the hero who was constantly in the most functional clothes for any occasion. 

But as always, there was trouble in paradise that no one saw coming. As Shouta and Hizashi were sitting in the home office, they heard a crash from Nao's room. Hizashi went to check on him and Shouta, always the worrier, watched from the doorway. 

"Don't worry, it was just a shelf collapsing. It did hit my head though.". He could hear Hizashi take a sharp intake of breath and ask to see where it hit. 

"Oh! That's gonna leave a bump, bear." He said with a worried tone. "Don't call me that.". Shouta laughed a little. He could practically hear the pout in Nao's voice from here. "Oh? I thought you were okay with the cute nicknames? Little baby bear?" Hizashi said in a sickly sweet voice. 

"You don't get to call me that!" Nao shouted, slamming his bedroom door in Hazashi's face. Shouta rushed into the hall at the commotion and saw a very stunned Hizashi. "What was that?" Shouta asked his fiancée who just turned to him with a perplexed expression. 

"I don't know." The blonde hero admitted "He just...jumped back and slammed the door. What did I do wrong?". His tone was hushed, like he was so taken aback at Nao's outburst he didn't know how to process it.

"Nao!" The underground hero said in a loud but even tone "You don't get to just slam doors on people. That was incredibly rude.". There was silence from inside the room. Not even sobbing could be heard, which was very uncharacteristic of Nao. 

"I told him not to." Nao defended, his tone firm. Shouta looked confused at this. Something about the way he was speaking was familiar, and not in a good way. The foster parents turned to the door. 

"You should have explained what you didn't want him to do instead of slamming the door. We do not do that in this household.". "Stop talking to me like I'm a fucking kid!". The swearing was strange to, and the hero couldn't quite put it together, so he kept trying. 

"You haven't acted like this before, does this have to do with you sneaking out?" He tested. It was a long shot but it was the only thing that had changed. This wasn't 'exam stress' for Nao as in middle school he had done it while recovering from multiple stab wounds.