26: Where Can I Find You?

Nao shifted awkwardly in place as he stared at the ground. His dad stood over him with an uncomfortably serious gaze. Shouta couldn't help it. If Nao wasn't 100% prepared for the operation he would not allow the teen to participate, simple as that.

"Dad, I'm participating, I need to save her. What sort of hero would I be if I didn't?" Nao said, then winced at his own words. Now it sounded like he was just doing it because his friends were. That was his dad's least favorite irrational reasoning. 

"You'd be a hero with an ounce of self preservation." The man said through gritted teeth. "Why are you questioning my choice? Everyone else just said 'yes' and you left it at that." Nao questioned. 

Shouta tried not to look annoyed at that and failed. "I thought it would be obvious that they're not my children and you are my only son." He said matter-of-factly. Nao smirked a little. "Oh, so you've finally disowned Hitoshi?". 

"You realize he has a mother right?" Shouta wasn't sure if he was questioning Nao or the whole universe. Why was everyone saying Shinso was his son? He was just a close mentor who had him over for dinner occasionally, and housed him for a while, and helped push up his transfer to the hero course, and planned to make him a ring bearer in his wedding alongside Nao because Hizashi insisted it would be adorable and damn Shinso was kinda his son. 

"Fine." Shouta said with a sigh "I was never going to stop you, I was just making sure you knew what you got yourself into.". Nao nodded solemnly with a small smile making his hair, which was returning to its normal colour, flop in front of his face. "Now get back to lunch before you're late to class.".

"Got it!" Nao said, giving his dad a quickly hug and earning himself a flick when he tried to incase them in a forcefield. Nao smiled sheepishly before jogging back to his friends. 

It was hard to focus himself on more than one thing right now. Nao knew logically that school was important but his hero work seemed to be absorbing the rest of his brain space. How was anyone supposed to learn english while thinking about Eri? Hell, he hadn't even met her yet and he was already of the same mind as Mirio and Midoriya. 

They were getting her out no matter what. 

----- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ----- ----- 

Nao readjusted his mask and took a shallow, shaky breath. He had buttoned his jumpsuit up past his waist today despite the difficulty. He had to cover as much of himself as possible to avoid injury. The more pain he felt the more useless he would become. 

Everyone seemed to be waiting on the edge of their seats for the operation to begin. The teens had all read over the papers at least 20 times by then yet they all felt underprepared. There was a definite air of 'can we do this?' amongst the rookies. 

"You ready for this?". Okay, everyone except Kirishima. Nao gulped and nodded as an answer. The red haired boy laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. "You've got this alright? We're all working for the same goal.". 

"I know." The white and purple haired teen breathed out "I'm just worried. I saw what the league was capable of and they're allied with the Hassaikai.". Kirishima nodded in understanding. The whole concept of why they were here disturbed Nao. Uraraka noticed the nervous expression creep back onto Nao's face and tapped him on the shoulder. 

"You'll be behind us the whole time, right?" She said, paraphrasing Sir Night Eye. Nao nodded. "Then if we can trust you with our safety you have to trust the rest of us with yours.". Okay, that made sense, Nao could believe that. He had to be strong for everyone else who would be relying on him for medical attention and a quick out. 

The current plan for Nao was to use his quirk to protect and help heroes that got too injured or needed to leave the headquarters. They would be underground, meaning the only easy way to signal they needed an out would but Nao expanding a bubble to the surface where someone with an earth breaking quirk could excavate them. He would also be providing medical help and engaging in battle if he was in that position.