15: Late Again?

School had ended and Nao couldn't be more relieved. With the exams coming up its been non stop training and studying. The kid barely got a moment to eat any of the food Yamada made now that he didn't have to help all the time. 

Both his foster parents had been on edge too. They had a lot of marking and a lot of extra study sessions with students to worry about. The only benefit this got Nao was his english improved greatly from all the 'no japanese in the kitchen' days. But everything was getting more than a little out of hand. The apartment was a disaster, specifically Nao's room. For months it had been sparkling clean as the filthiness of his former home still weighed on Nao. But as Nao got more comfortable the more he was able to believe that his new place wouldn't just start growing mold if he left a shirt on the floor. Okay, so it wasn't the worst but there was a weeks worth of casual clothes on that floor and he knew his hero suit was under there somewhere. 

The train ride was noisy, everyone and their mother seemed to be having a conversation with work or a loved one. The sound of ringtones was starting to bore into Nao's mind despite his headphones and he couldn't imagine how Todoroki felt. He hadn't brought any at all and unfortunately Nao's weren't the type you could share. Pitying his friend the teen took off his headphones. 

"So, how are you feeling about the practical?" He asked casually. Todoroki just shrugged. "I don't have anything to worry about." He said matter-of-factly. Nao sighed. Half and half really didn't have anything to worry about. When Todoroki said he was on a different level, he meant it. 

The peppermint teen looked over to Nao, as if they weren't squished right up against each other in the crowded train. "Why do you live with Mr. Aizawa?" He asked finally. The teen had been waiting weeks to formally ask about Nao's life. After he learned that his teacher wasn't Nao's real father he had regained hope that Nakabayashi could be his 'diss your family' friend. He would never pass up an opportunity to talk shit about his scumbag of a father. Just thinking about the man made him want to groan. 

Nao thought about his answer for a moment. They were in a public place, but no one was listening to them anyways, so he answered honestly. "My uncle was an asshole. My bedroom didn't have a ceiling and he didn't feed me for like...5 ish years?" Nao said, trying to get the timeline right "So basically in middle school I got stabbed by some of my old bullies, you met a few when that girl burned my face." Todoroki nodded, he still remembered the first time he tried out the longer bus route. He was a little shocked at how long it had actually been since the incident. "And Aizawa saved me. He ended up coming to the hospital the next day because I had put a bubble around myself so the doctors and nurses couldn't touch me. He signed me out when my uncle was too drunk to form a sentence that didn't involve 'fucker' and the rest is history.". 

"So your uncle, was he...overbearing?" Todoroki tested the waters before he gave anything away. This would be his first time telling anyone if Nakabayashi passed the test. He watched his classmate think for a moment. 

"The opposite actually. It was like I didn't even live there. I didn't have any clothes, like I literally owned 3 shirts and one was my uniform." Nao stressed the number. "He'd kick me out at 3am so I wouldn't get in his way, he was drunk literally 24/7 even if he was at work and he'd take any excuse to make me leave. It was less abuse and more extreme neglect.". Todoroki nodded, silently asking for more information. Nao complied as he wanted to get his frustration off his chest. "Medical neglect too, I had to get so many immunizations!" He huffed "I'm still underweight but I mean I've staved off the malnutrition now.". 

Damn, if Todoroki had ever judged Nao for being much thinner and less muscular than the other guys in their class he apologized. Now that he thought about it, Nao was the second shortest guy in the class and Tokoyami was much more built than him. No wonder he relied so heavily on his quirk. "So, he's an asshole with a drinking problem." Nao finished "Why're you so curious? Midoriya and Iida just took the whole 'foster parent' thing and stopped asking.".