20: Face the reaper

"I want a bath," I spoke in the midst of our journey. I believe that my last bath was 5 days ago. I smell like a rotten fruit already and it goes the same for everyone who smelled like sweat and urine.

"Where will you bathe here?" Sevor questioned. Rui was silent and had not spoken ever since we left Peaches. He may be still upset about leaving Buck behind. I looked at the soil beside me and found it still following. Its silence underground was plausible. Even Fenris didn't notice the huge plant that I have brought with us. Fenris sniffed the air and his tail wagged.

"Fenris, I want a bath," I stated again.

"I smell fish nearby oniisan. There may be water here," one of the werewolves informed me.

Fenris turned to our left and began to run. "We'll set up fire here! Come back early!" Slade called out. "And don't you dare try to not come back!" He added. I held on Fenris' fur while he leaped over fallen logs and scared away other monsters and beasts. He had an excited breathing and let out occasional grunts while he trotted through the woodlands. As we proceeded, I perceived an entrance at the supposed dead end of the forest. A huge mossy and rocky wall indicated the end of the forestry. We ventured inside the entrance, it was a long pathway that led to a bright scenery of a lake being sustained by a waterfall. A statue of a head with pointy ears was situated in the middle with colorful fishes jumping every now and then. The waterfall was small and much narrower compared to the last waterfall I saw. Green and tall rocks framed the lake with their distinctive positions and shapes. I could not determine the end of the waters for its length flew longer and longer and continued as it curved to a right route.

"Superb Fenris," I praised and petted his head. Fenris puffed his chest out in pride and I started to undress. Cold air bit into my skin lightly and I ambled on the sandy edge of the waters. Fenris accompanied me to my descent as half of my body was engulfed by the coldness of the pool of liquid. My werewolf companion was very much enjoying with his swim. His tongue was out as he smiled with those pointy and deadly teeth.

I began to wash my face and sink my head in the water to wet my hair. The loud drumming sound of the falling water, the shrieking sound of four-winged birds, and the spurting of the spitting fishes that was starting to enrage Fenris were calming my mind. This kind of quiet was favorable but the noise of Slade, Sevor, and Caleb during arguments were entertaining as well.

A part of me wanted to ask why okaasan and otousan deprived me of this kind of world. Though there was a huge patch containing blood thirsty monsters and a huge quantity of selfish and arrogant races covering it, the most parts contained loving people and misunderstood beings in which their own worlds were what molded them. If the world was cruel to you, naturally, you'll adapt to survive.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard something sharp piercing the air. It sounded like an arrow.

A growl erupted from Fenris and I turned around and found an arrow stuck at his back.

"Kill the werewolf!" I heard a man shout. I directed my gaze to the origin of the arrow and discovered long-haired and pointy-eared men at the top of the waterfalls aiming their arrows at us, specifically Fenris.

"We must get out of here," I stated. More arrows pierced the air and a huge net accompanied them. It covered only me and Fenris continued to get hit by the arrows. The werewolf bit the net and began to take it off from me and I felt my heart getting twisted from seeing Fenris getting attacked. Was he suddenly weakened due to the arrows? He seem to struggle far too much from just pulling the net. Fenris heaved and his eyes held extreme fear. He was also like this when he once set foot in the elven village. I do not like seeing him like this. I now only desire for him to leave this place even if it meant leaving me behind.