Chapter 5

Word Count: 1291

The Tokyo training camp was coming to an end. We're supposed to leave today. At least yesterday I was able to tour Fukurodani and Nekoma. They were huge, but Nekoma really didn't speak out to me that much. The only people I'd talk to there would be Kuroo and Lev, I guess. They were funny after I'd gotten to know them, but I was also a bit annoyed that Kenma was always with them. He was fine off of the volleyball court, but his playing still pissed me off.

I thought it was absolutely adorable seeing Bokuto in his emo mode during their last match against Karasuno. Poor baby, so sad! I giggled as the final whistle blew, Bokuto going crazy again. I walked over to Fukurodani and congratulated them as Karasuno went to do a flying lap, patting the setter and ace on the back. Apparently, it was time for a barbecue now. I ended up helping the girls cut the vegetables, me and a brunette crying at the onions. I looked over to see the boys and the coaches talking, before they stormed us, taking as much meat as possible. I laughed, seeing Bokuto stealing all the meat away from Kuroo. I decided not to eat too much, I got car sick really easily, so I just grabbed a plate of veggies and rice. 

I walked over to go hang out with Bokuto, Kuroo, and Hinata, hearing them talk about top aces. "Hello, I am right over here you know!" Bokuto shouted. I waved as I walked over, getting a nod from Kuroo. He started talking again, "Ushiwaka from the Tohoku region, Kiryuu from the Kyushu region, and Sakusa, from the Kanto region. Those are the three strongest aces of the national high school level." Bokuto, Lev, Hinata, And Tsukkishima were obviously intrigued, despite Bokuto sounding annoyed. My eyes lit up, "Hey, I know Sakusa!" All five pairs of eyes turned towards me, Hinata exclaiming, "How? Are you guys friends?" Kuroo nodded with Hinata, so I said, "Kind of? I met him at the airport when I first came to Japan, then I saw him again at a store a few days ago. He even let me give him my phone number. Look." Lev stared at me, "Damn, that's pretty awesome. What do you mean met him at an airport?" I giggled, remembering the event, "I helped him break into a private bathroom. He's a huge germaphobe. It was just too adorable to resist, seeing him standing there all nervous!" Suddenly, my phone started buzzing so I waved at the boys and walked over to the corner. 

It was Coach Stone, "Hey, Horikawa, how've you been in Japan?" I sighed in relief, finally being able to switch back to English, "It's been good! I've just been here watching the boys play. I got to meet some of the best national aces, so that was also cool." He hummed into the phone, "Interesting. So obviously, Abby, you know we have the championships in Mexico soon, right? Well anyways, I'm calling to get you back into training again. I know you can't be with us right now, so here's your schedule that I want you to partake in." I sighed, listening to my new fitness and skill routine. He went on for about ten minutes, specifying I'd need to find someone to help me practice. "Alright Coach," I stated, "I gotta go, make sure to tell the girls I love them and I miss them, see you in a few weeks." He grunted and hung up. I saw Kageyama and Akaashi looking at me, so I waved and said, "That was my Coach, so I had to use English. We've got a tournament coming up soon, should be leaving in a few weeks. I'll come back though, promise. I'll just have to miss Karasuno's qualifying rounds." Akaashi nodded in understanding, and I walked back over to Kuroo and Bokuto.

////

It was finally time to leave, waving goodbye to Nekoma and Fukurodani as I climbed onto the bus, snatching a window seat. I took my phone out, planning to occupy myself by texting all the numbers I had saved Good luck in your qualifications, receiving various responses. That only took up about half an hour, so I tapped a couple Karasuno boys on the shoulder, asking for their phone numbers. I was able to get the contacts of Daichi, Suga, Asahi, Ennoshita, Kageyama, Tanaka, and Nishinoya. I got a message from Iwaizumi, and went to reply, but apparently Hinata was peeking at my screen. "Hey Abby," he began, "Who're you texting?" I looked at him, squinting in annoyance, "Just some other volleyball boys." Hinata, being the bored little baby he is, glimmered, "Ooh! Anyone I know?" I nodded, "Yeah, you know Oikawa and Iwa, right? And I know you know Bokuto and Akaashi." Hinata's face dropped, "You're friends with Aoba Johsai?" I nodded again, "Yeah, Oikawa served a ball into my face, so I befriended them." Hinata suddenly got a determined look in his eyes, "I know you're friends with other teams, but please root for us at the next tournaments! I'm going to fly!" I smiled, but my eyes saddened when I realized, "Oh, sorry Hinata. I'm going to miss all of your matches in August." A few faces turned towards me when I said that, so I sighed, continuing, "I'm flying to Tijuana for a qualifying tournament. I'll be over there for a few weeks, but I'll come back, and hopefully I'll watch you guys make your way to nationals!" The second years whooped at that, starting to chant until Daichi yelled at them to shut up. I grinned, having this much time to hang out with friends was rare for me. Life back at home was hell for me, and I was glad to be away for a bit.

////////

I groaned, realizing I had a long day ahead of me. I  got to skip school for the day, at least. The bus ride to Tokyo was long, and I couldn't fall asleep in fear of missing my stop, so I looked out the window the whole time, almost getting carsick. After a long time of driving, I arrived at the Tokyo Airport, where I began the process of checking in, going through security, and waiting for my flight to be called. As an athlete, I was fortunate enough to be called on the plane first, setting my bags up in the cabinets of business class. I sat down in my seat and immediately passed out, sleeping for a good five hours on the long flight. I listened to music for the rest of the flight.

Soon enough, we landed, and I walked out of the airport fairly quickly. I was getting a teammate to pick me up, since I couldn't call a taxi without knowing Spanish. I walked over to Holly's (Couldn't find 2012 roster so I'm using 2017) car, exhaling as I sat in the car seat. She and I would be sharing a hotel room. I yawned towards the middle blocker, "I hate how tall you guys are." She laughed and continued driving towards the hotel. We arrived at the hotel and set our bags down, and we almost cried realizing we had to practice today after all of this. We changed into our white Away uniforms and got back into her car, driving to some random university's gymnasium. I hugged my skyscraper gal-pals, excited to work with them once again. Training began, and I was able to experience Coach Stone kicking my ass for the first time in a while. I was so ready for the tournament in two days.