Chapter 15

Word Count: 820 

I arrived back at the hotel, smiling on my call with Komori. He had decided when we parted ways to keep chatting, so he and I were still on the phone.

"And he just kept going! He went from 100, to 250, to 375. He just wouldn't quit with those overhand sets. And to think I was the one who got Sakusa into volleyball!"

"Oh my," I laughed, "How many did he end up getting?"

"Something around 567, if I can remember correc-" "I got 603, than you very much," I heard Sakusa faintly cut off in the background.

Komori chuckled at him, "I just reached my house, so I'll hang up now. Are you up for a run on Sunday?"

"Sure. Make sure to tire me out so I fall asleep on the bus home."

Komori hung up, and I beamed. I love this guy! Not only did his eyebrows remind me of a cute little dog, he was so friendly like one too! Japan had been so utopian for me so far. No Mom, no siblings, only volleyball and great friends. It was so odd to finally have this many friends. Of course I always had friends at home from volleyball times, but that'd be the only time I saw them. The rest of my time was spent cleaning and taking care of my siblings. Remind me to never have kids, I thought to myself.

I set the papers I got from Itachiyama on my bed, hearing my phone buzz again. I had lost all my recent good luck apparently, it was Dad.

"H-hi Dad," I mumbled.

"Hey, Abby. I'm back. How've you been?"

"Pretty good. I've got a run scheduled with Komori Motoya on Sunday and I'm teaching Kotaro Bokuto English on Saturday," I smirked, knowing his inevitable reaction.

"What the fuck? How do you manage to become friends with all the volleyball boys I tell you about."

"Guess I just have that magic charm."

"So how was Itachiyama? What were Sakusa and Komori like up close? Wait, never mind, we have other stuff to talk about."

"Oh God, please no."

"Abby," he said sternly, "You know this is important."

I cowered a bit, "Yeah, I know. What's the news."

"Your Mother and I are not getting divorced."

"Really! That's great, especially for the boys-"

"-It was too expensive."

"What?" I choked.

"Divorce wasn't an affordable option. We're splitting up unofficially. We've agreed I'll get custody of your brothers on weekends."

"I'm sorry, WHAT? This is really happening?!"

"I'm afraid it is, Abby. I have to admit to you, I've been a coward. I wasn't at work all the time to support the family, your volleyball paid for a lot of stuff. I was escaping your mother. I was weak, and I wouldn't stand up to her."

"I-uh- huh?"

"I know, I know, I've been a selfish father. The only time I would hang around you kids would be to force my favorite sport on you. I just thought...I just wanted you guys to be more successful than I had been. A pinch-server turned absent father. I'm so, so, sorry."

I exhaled, releasing the air I had been holding in the whole call, "Look, I can't think about this right now. Could you call me some other time? I want to enjoy the rest of my time in Tokyo. I've decided I'm staying here for Christmas. I'll be over at Thanksgiving. Tell the boys I miss them. Love you, Dad."

I hung up before he could respond, chucking my phone across the room, screaming into my pillow. I stormed over to the mini-fridge the hotel supplied me with, ripping out the large bottle of Vodka I spotted earlier. Whatever, I thought, it'll just get charged to my card. I took a large swig, before I realized I had never actually drunk before, gagging at the burning in my throat. Before I could react, the opened bottle slipped from my hand, crashing onto the ground, directly onto my bare right foot. The heavy bottle slammed directly into my toes, hard, before it shattered all over my foot. Cuts opened up all over my foot, the alcohol falling directly into the new wounds. I yelled in pain, tears springing into my eyes. This was the most painful thing I had ever felt.

Strings of curses fell out of my mouth as I hopped around the room crying. I fell onto a chair, the pain being to great to stand up again. Quick, think. What do I do. Surprisingly, I had an idea of who to contact in my time of panic. There'd only be one person who could help me out without causing me to freak out more. I hopped over to where I threw my phone, dialing their number.

"Hello?" The monotone voice answered.

"Hey, Akaashi? Could you come take me to the hospital?"

"I-uh what?!"

"Just, please! I'll text you the number," I exclaimed, hanging up. I sent him the hotel room number and the address, crying out at the throbbing and stinging in my foot.