Chapter 63

==Maddie's POV==

I'm trying extra hard to look good tonight, something I haven't done since I lived in California. A sparkly dress, heels, curled hair, everything.

50% of the reason is because I want to make Ashton feel bad for cheating on me and the other 50% is because making myself look nice is an acceptable distraction. It's New Years Eve, so I have an excuse to keep myself busy for hours in front of the mirror.

"Are you almost ready?" Cooper asks from my doorway. He doesn't look very dressed up, aside from a flannel. "I don't want to be that late."

We both decided that showing up to the party a few hours after it started was a good idea. That way, when we got there, it would be close to midnight and then we could leave soon after. It's nearly 11 now.

"Yeah, hold on," I say, applying a dark red lipstick. I rub my lips together and take a deep breath, holding it in.

I am going to have a hard time staying composed tonight, I just know it.

I square my shoulders and stare at myself, nodding. I let out the breath and press my lips into a smile. Whether it's hard or not, I'm going to stay composed.

"You're definitely not leaving my sight," Cooper says sternly as I shut the light off and start for the stairs.

It's been a while since I wore heels, so I have to be careful. It's a good thing I don't plan on drinking tonight.

"Why?" I play dumb, glancing back at him with a laugh. He isn't even trying to hide how stressed he is now.

"Yeah, like 20 guys, most of them single and drunk," Cooper says sarcastically as I put my coat on. "I bet that would end extremely well for you if I let you go off by yourself."

I open up the door and immediately my legs are frozen. Luckily, my mom always has someone else drive her to parties on New Year's Eve and we don't have to walk to Luke's. I don't think I would have gone if that were the case.

"Your friends all scare me," I laugh as I struggle to make it over the ice and into the passenger's seat.

He slams his door shut, puts his key in the ignition, and quickly swerves out of the driveway, "Yeah, no talking to Ashton, or Luke. Calum might hit on you. I don't know."

"As if I would want to talk to Luke."

"If either of them go near you, I'll rip them a new one," he gives me a half-smile.

His hands are gripping the wheel harshly and judging by how much he's squirming in his seat, he doesn't want to go to this party any more than I do. He blinks hard and I run my hands over my thighs in an effort to warm up.

The radio is off, making the silence between us even more uncomfortable. I keep my gaze out the window, trying to pretend like I shouldn't have to make conversation with him.

Usually, when I'm in the car with him, he's yelling at me. It's weird for him not to be.

"Be honest, are you okay?" I ask after a while, glancing back to him. His expression softens at the question, it breaking down whatever wall he had up.

"What do you think?" He says, throwing his hand up in the air, a vein in his neck protruding, "Suddenly my girlfriend of four years wants nothing to do with me and everything to do with my best friend, who was totally fine with sleeping with her all this time."

I pause, staring down at my hands. Asking that was the wrong thing to do, since it only reminds me of what I should be upset about. Cooper and I are in the same boat, pretty much.