Chapter 21

I follow quickly behind the boys as Cooper mutters obscenities and Luke groans in pain. Ashton is shaking his head and by the looks of it, you wouldn't be able to tell that the three of them are best friends, or even friends at all. Cooper aggressively pushes the locker room door open and I enter as quietly as possible after them.

"What the actual fuck is your problem?" Ashton screams at Cooper while Luke opens his locker and buries his head inside without a word. None of them have seemed to notice I followed them and I'm entirely thankful for that.

"Don't think for even a second that I don't know what you're doing," He ignores Ashton, pushing Luke in his shoulder. Ashton grips him by his own shoulder and shoves him back, clearly growing angrier by the second.

"You know, I don't get you," He grimaces. They're both fuming and face eachother, breathing heavily, "You're willing to hit your sister but yet you do shit like this as if you're trying to protect her? You're fucking insane."

Without a word in response, Cooper instead lets his fist connect with Ashton's face. As soon as he does and Ashton brings his hand to his abused cheek, I instinctively let out a gasp, much louder than I wish. I move to cover my mouth but it's too late. All three of them have recognized my presence and are staring at me. Why do I keep interrupting things when secrets might possibly be spilled?

"Maddie, get out. Now," Cooper is the first to speak, gritting his teeth. When I don't answer or obey him, he moves forward to push me out himself, but Ashton stops him.

"No, why don't you explain to the both of us. Do you care about her or are you just that much of a dick that you just decided to hit Luke for no reason?"

Cooper doesn't falter, still giving me a look that is void of any care or understanding. His nostrils are flaring, the veins in his neck more prominent now too. He stays silent and surprises me when he swallows an apparent lump in his throat and lets out rather weakly, "Fuck off, both of you."

Ashton looks apologetically at me before rolling his eyes, coming over to me and wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I really have no clue what to make of the situation at all and I wish Cooper would have at least given a bullshit answer to the question. I know it wasn't because he was trying to protect me, so what would suddenly make him so violent toward Luke?

"I think Maddie deserves an explanation," Ashton stays beside me, glaring at Cooper. "Fuck, so does Luke."

Luke pops his head up at the sound of his name and I notice now that his nose is bleeding. He doesn't have much wrong with his face besides that, but he still looks like he got the wind knocked out of him. I can't help but feel guilty, considering this is all my fault. He didn't even do anything to purposely provoke the behavior, and yet he is in the middle of this.

My brother moves over to his own locker and starts to get changed, completely ignoring Ashton's gaze that follows his every movement. I uncomfortably watch him too, waiting and hoping for an explanation from him. It isn't until he's changed out of his practice jersey that he looks back in our direction.

"I couldn't give two shits about Maddie," Cooper speaks as if I'm not even there, "Don't get your hopes up. Just fuck off."

A grunt, barely audible, escapes Ashton's mouth and his grip on me moves from my shoulder to my waist. Cooper's eyes travel with Ashton's arm and I can tell this pisses him off further, but he doesn't say anything. He averts his gaze and continues to change instead.

"My stuff is outside, so I'm going to just get it and go. Maddie and I will meet you at your place, Luke," Ashton says gruffly and I watch as my brother flinches at the idea of me hanging out with them. I still don't understand him or his motives, but I don't feel as bad going against his wishes anymore. "Cooper, you can find your own ride from now on."