Chapter 29

I quicken my pace to keep up with Ashton's speed-walking and try not to trip over countless weeds and vines that have grown over the years. I have no clue how he's doing it so quickly and smoothly. He continues forward frustratedly without stopping for even a second. It isn't until my foot catches on something and I face plant into his back that he is forced to stop.

I regain my balance myself, but he turns around and grabs both of my arms in an attempt to steady me. With such a gesture, that only gives him another glimpse of my littered wrist.

"You said you stopped," he turns away from me, pushing my arms down out of his hands. I can't tell if he's mad or just disappointed, but I haven't forgotten that I'm the one who is supposed to have the upper hand right now.

"Why do you care, anyway?" I ask, implying the problem that's, in my opinion, much more important than whether or not I harm myself.

Ashton sighs, looking back again at me. He only watches me stare at him angrily with my arms crossed about my chest now. His mouth moves into a pout and after a moment, he squeezes his eyes shut.

"Please, Maddie, forget whatever you believe about me right now because I'm truly worried," he breathes. When he opens his eyes, he brings his hand up to run it through his hair nervously.

"Don't be, it's not even that big of a deal. It shouldn't matter to you."

"Okay, no!" He cries, kicking at the ground beneath him. I take a step back from him and honestly, I hope he doesn't start getting aggressive. Upon seeing me recoil, though, he thankfully regains his composure and lowers his voice. "It is a big deal. I don't know what I would do if something happened to you."

"Stop," I say simply, turning back again to head toward the parking lot.

I don't want to hear all of this and start trusting him again. Certainly not this easily, either. I can't be weak like that anymore. Believing so fast that boys who have hurt me before actually have the audacity to care about me now stops here.

"Maddie, please!" Ashton whines. I keep walking but he continues to call my name, forcing me to eventually stop and look at him. His arms are limp at his sides and he's slouching dejectedly. I try not to, but part of me pities him. "I never heard of the bet before yesterday, okay? I don't know how but trust me."

I inch toward him a bit, probably incapable of speaking loud enough for him to hear with what I'm about to say.

"How am I supposed to trust you?" I want to sound confident, maybe even bitchy, but my voice still shakes. "I don't know why I did in the first place. I mean, it makes sense. All you've ever done is use and objectify girls. You've never been in a relationship in your life, as far as I know. And up until I came back, you lived to torture me. It just makes sense."

He says something, but even for him it isn't loud enough to be heard. I step even closer and he mumbles a few more inaudible phrases.

"What?" I finally fully approach him and he takes a deep breath. Instead of looking upset like he has been, he squints his eyes and clenches his jaw angrily. He must be done acting.

"Nothing, can we talk about the issue at hand please?" Despite the edge in his voice and the irritated look he's formed on his face, he takes my arm gently in his hand.

"We are talking about the problem at hand," I jerk it out of his grasp. Even in my state of resentment, his warm touch still sends sparks through me. If I had let him keep ahold of me, I wouldn't have been able to stay mad.

"You need to stop, before it gets worse," He still has his eyes on my arm, frowning.

I pull my sleeve down over my hand and roll my eyes. I don't want to be having this conversation right now, especially when I don't even want to be talking to him. If anything, he should be begging for my forgiveness, not lecturing me on something he doesn't even understand.