Chapter 39

==Ashton's POV==

Lily steps inside without even waiting for me to welcome her in, moving past me with urgency and holding her hand up in the air to keep me from speaking. I think I've begun holding my breath, I'm not sure. Watching as she freaks out over something unknown to me sends my mind into a frenzy of suggestions as to why she would think its okay to show up unannounced like this.

She brings the hand she had in the air to her head, exasperated, and stares at me with the same wide eyes she had the moment I opened the door.

"Are you pregnant?" I immediately ask. Though it's clear she wanted to speak first, it's taking way too long for her to simply explain her presence. Maddie will be here any minute and the only reason I didn't immediately kick Lily out is because of such a possibility that could ruin my life.

The question takes her out of her worried state and awakens a newfound anger in her. She squints at me like that's the dumbest assumption I could have made, "No I'm not pregnant, you asshole!"

"Well, sorry," I say, growing irritated with her own irritation already. Lily sits down on the bottom step of my stairs in a huff and I decide, moronically, to take the spot beside her, "Thought the only concerns you would come to me for were that and being turned on."

"Would you just let me talk?" She snaps. She grits her teeth and shakes her head and now that I know she's not pregnant, I swear she's on her period or something. Either that or she's gone insane.

I nod, motioning for her to continue. Whatever it is, she better make it quick. Knowing me, I would stammer my way through an explanation to Maddie so horribly she would automatically know what was going on. Plus, there is no worse way to prove to my mom that everything is over than to have Lily show up here like this. I'm surprised she hasn't come into the room to ask what the hell is going on yet.

"So I think Cooper knows that I, um," she pauses, struggling to say it out loud. She puts her forhead down in her hand and closes her eyes, "That I, you know, cheated, or whatever."

Again, I hold my breath. But only for a second. It doesn't take me long to realize that she didn't include me in her explanation and that he doesn't know she cheated on him with me. So, in all honesty, it doesn't concern me at all. I couldn't give any less of a shit what happens to Lily at this point.

Still, I try my best to feign concern in hopes that it will get her out of here.

"Hey, it's fine." I place my hand on her knee. I'm not one for sympathy, but I think I'm doing alright.

Well, until I realize what a stupid gesture that is for someone in their first relationship to do to a girl they previously had a ton of sex with. Instinctively, I want to pull my hand away and apologize, but I know that there is a good chance that would just start another argument and distract from the topic at hand. I'm such an idiot.

"How could he even figure that out?"

Before returning my gaze she pulls her shirt down which, even if she doesn't mean it to, causes much more of her cleavage to be revealed. I can't help but look at first, but I force myself to meet eyes with her and bite the inside of my bottom lip.

"Okay, this is going to sound really stupid," she takes a deep breath and sits back up. For someone distressed over how their boyfriend may know that they slept with someone else, she scoots pretty damn close to me but I take that as an opportunity by the grace of god to remove my hand from her knee. "Last week, we were sleeping at his house and I was like, half awake and half asleep. I don't know if I was dreaming of you or something but I'm pretty sure I said your name. Coop woke me up only like a minute or two after and he's been acting kind of weird since."