Chapter 40

==Maddie's POV==

As the next couple of weeks pass, I realize that my relationship with Ashton is the most healthy one I've ever had, in a broad sense. I've never had anyone in my life that I enjoyed myself around so much -- not family, not friends, and especially not a boyfriend. He may make thoughtless comments every single day, but he always catches himself and learns from it. That's more than I could ever attribute to anyone I've known before.

We spend so much time with eachother already and it's amazing to me to think that I have become so comfortable around him so quickly. If I had stayed and waited for Cooper to unlock the door instead of running to Ashton, what would have happened? I can easily say everything would have been different, worse even.

When I'm not with Ashton, I'm with Milly or Michael or actually getting something done. It was hard to realize it when I was going through it, but what happened in California and the situation with Luke took everything good out of me. Ashton helped me to get it back, to make myself whole again. Everything is finally getting better.

"Can we go already? You're going to make Ashton late if you keep that up," Cooper peaks around my door for the fifth time in the past ten minutes. I'm still studying myself in the mirror, as I have been since I started getting ready. This is the first time I've really cared about my appearance since I got back, "We need a goalie, you know."

"Don't you guys have people to fill in?" I pout at the sloppy bun I put my hair in that rests on top of my head and pull at the hairband to take it out before I have to stare at it any longer.

"It's the last game of the season, Maddie!" Cooper groans through the door. He's closed it, annoyed at watching me, but is probably going to poke his head in again soon enough. "If Ashton isn't goalie we probably won't make it to the playoffs."

I sigh, settling on braiding my hair like always. Lucky for everyone, my hair is the last aspect of my appearance I decided to worry about.

"Okay, sorry," I pull my door open to see that he's still standing there with his arms crossed, tapping his foot impatiently.

"What are you so worried about anyway?" he asks when he sees me, "It's not like he doesn't think you're perfect already."

That's another thing: my brother has oddly been even nicer to me and I've learned not to question it and to enjoy it. If everything is going to fall into place, I might as well let it.

"Don't flatter yourself," he adds, following me down the stairs. He's probably caught me smiling to myself, "You're no where near perfect to me."

But then again, Cooper will always be Cooper.

"You're slowing us down by talking," I smirk back at him as I pull open the front door. He scowls at me but continues to follow me quickly to the car regardless. He puts his key in the ignition and starts it before he's even completely inside.

"We wouldn't have to hurry up if you didn't try so hard to make yourself less ugly. You failed by the way."

"I'm going to tell Ashton you said that," I threaten with a laugh.

Cooper rolls his eyes at me. He knows just as well as I do that I wouldn't tell Ashton anything he did, whether it be a rude comment or if he physically laid a hand on me again. I don't want to be a burden and I certainly don't want to appear feeble or weak. Normal girls can handle it when their brother tries to hurt them.

"You guys are so disgusting," he pretends to gag, "I can't believe I ever supported the idea of my best friend dating my annoying sister."

"You didn't."