July Chapter 21

It had been three days since the cops had called the off the search for Rory and I'm still reeling from it

It had been three days since the cops had called the off the search for Rory and I'm still reeling from it. All this time she had been at home... and I mean... I didn't even realize she had a place in Toronto, but let me tell you I had been burning to go down to Toronto and find her, just to explain, just to bring her back.

My life had crashed around her leaving. The Fablehaven permit holders were livid to hear of Rory's departure. They were okay with replacements but if she were to be gone permanently well... then they were going to go somewhere else for their lifeguards. Both Polished Elite and Earth and Body would be out of the permit. And my step-dad was livid about it and therefore taking it out on me.

He might have sent me off after her too except she didn't list her address in Toronto on any of our forms, and when I asked Jay he had no idea that she even had family in Toronto, he swore that they were working abroad.

Even if I wanted to, I can't. Charlie had really told Marnie everything, or at least everything that she knew, the rest was filled in by Kaitlyn.

The traitors.

I had been working hard to convince her that this was for the good of the spa, and Marnie really had put us on a break just a few months ago to date some hot shot lawyer in the firm she was interning at. But she was adamant that I was cheating and now she had to stay to ensure I behaved myself. I couldn't shake her anymore. If I went to Toronto to look for Rory she would want to come with me.

And I couldn't show up to talk to Rory with Marnie at my side, now could I? Not if I wanted to convince her to come back to Polished Elite.

I was hoping the internship would call her back, but her internee... or interer? Whatever her boss was called at that firm, had had a bout of family trouble and told her to stay on holidays until the boss could come back.

Yeah sucks for me doesn't it?

I haven't been in a good mood since I got the news.

It's been noticeable and Marnie has been harping on me as if that would help me get my good mood back. The problem with Marnie is that well... now that I've had a normal, down-to-earth girl who was kind and thoughtful and considerate I didn't want the uppity-stuck-up-cruel-and-clingy girl I have now.

Damn if I could have Rory's personality in Marnie's body I'd be happy till the day I died.

That morning, I'm happy when my dad calls me into his office to basically ask me if I had managed to get a hold of Rory over the phone. When I tell him I haven't he gets a very serious look about him. He's talking about reprimanding her, but how's he going to do that if she's not here?

"She'll have to come back eventually," he reminds me and that's true, we have all her stuff.

"What if she wants to quit?" I ask him and he pauses.

"She's stuck in an iron clad contract, she's mine for the next four years. If she quits she gets nothing and she signed a non-compete clause so she can't go back to teaching any of her classes nor can she go back to Earth and Body, so she's quite stuck with us, so she can try if she wants, but she won't be able to work for the remainder of her the contract."