June Chapter 5

Rory McJames

Rory McJames.

She's the reason we lost the Fablehaven rebid. She's an average looking girl, the only outstanding feature would be her vibrant red hair. Oh and maybe the fact that she's a complete klutz.

And yet Fablehaven refused to let us solely guard their swims and teach their lessons because Rory didn't work for us. I had talked to my guards the second I was made aware that they had turned down our rebid offer and that my step-dad wanted me to do something about it. I had asked them to explain to me why they thought Fabelhaven wanted Rory so much. What could be so special about her?

Charlie and Kaitlyn had nothing but negative things to say, but Milo and Daphne had told me a bit of what I needed to know. Rory was good with kids, so good that the kids listened to her without her having to yell. She made a face, Milo couldn't recreate this face even though he tried, and bam that kid stopped whatever shitty thing he was doing. Scared straight by glare. I couldn't believe it.

That didn't stop my step-dad from telling me that it was my job to snipe her. To convince her to leave Earth and Body to come work for us. I saw my spot the second I saw her look at that stupid lug Jay.

She was utterly in love with him and fool had no idea.

I could also tell that she was undervalued by him and probably her whole team. Milo had mentioned that Rory was always at Fablehaven. That permit was for two hours five days a week, they only saw the other guards if Rory was sick and sometimes Rory would come in even if she was sick because she couldn't get anyone to cover for her. Milo loves to tell the story of how Rory was screaming at a kid, paused to throw up, composed herself and then continued screaming as if nothing had happened.

I figured all I had to do was convince her that we would appreciate her and if I had to, maybe I'd seduce her. Jay wouldn't be able to keep her attention once I had caught her eye. I had tried to approach her at the training. I had told her that I thought she did a very good job with the Reaching Pole Rescue. She had said nothing choosing to glare at me instead. I saw two things in that moment. I saw why the kids were scared of her. Those green eyes were so intense that as soon as they were locked with mine, heated in that glaring match. I felt as if she could see into my very soul, that she knew the real reason why I had come up to her when I had never tried to talk to her before. But I also saw the seed of doubt I had planted.

I almost had her. I just had to keep nurturing those seeds. I just needed to find a way to get to her more often.