August Chapter 20

I kind of felt bad for yelling at Rory the way I did

It wasn't her fault that there was a mudslide that took out half the camp. It wasn't her fault that I put off calling them to book out camping trip. But I had been angry and I had yelled at her when it wasn't her fault. And considering how fragile things were with Rory at that moment I obviously shouldn't have done that.

Problem was, when I went to apologize, she was gone. And no one knew where she went. Okay, well, to be fair, I only asked like two people. Shawn and Jay. None of them knew where Rory was.

Was I surprised? No.

Was I surprised that finding out that I didn't know where Rory was, and no one else did either, worried Jay? Kind of cause I could have sworn he was the one going on about how he didn't want to date her. But I guess that didn't stop him from caring.

Especially since Rory had an opening shift tomorrow. Opening shifts were notoriously hard to find coverage for.

The fact that none of us heard from Rory until, basically, the end of our lunch hour, made the morning nerve-wracking

Though, I would forever be grateful that she called me first instead of Jay. Only because as soon as I announced to him and Shawn that it was Rory calling I heard Jay mutter: "Why didn't she call me?" under his breath.

He sounded so insulted. I couldn't help but snicker.

Rory wasn't on the phone with me long. In fact, all she said was to have everyone meet up at Coog's that night. She'd be there and she'd explain.

She didn't tell me what she needed to explain just that she needed the whole staff there. Or at the very least, me, Shawn and Jay.

I relayed that to the boys and they all nodded.

"Could do with a night at Coog's," Shawn had mused once I had told him the plan. "Someone else better be driving cause I plan on being black out."

"It's fine," Jay had said absently staring at his phone like he expect Rory's next call to be him. "I'll drive."

We were quiet a moment more before Jay looked at me and asked: "Did she tell you where she is? Or who she's with?"

I, who knew all about the latest argument, and clearly thought he was stupid, simply cocked an eyebrow at him and asked: "Why do you care?" and that got him to shut up.

For the rest of the day we were normal. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. We had our typical patrons and our typical patron complaints. No pool foulings, no major situations, whether they be PR or injuries. Only minor complaints like, the pool is cold, why is that child swimming in the deep end during family swim, stuff like that.

We got off work at our regular time. Changed out of our clothes and then made our way to Coog's. As soon as we got there Coog was waving us over to what he called the executive booth, which he had put in for when people wanted relative privacy while having business meetings.