August Chapter 31

It was true that I had something to talk to Rory about, but with the doctors coming in and out of her hospital room to check on her, and her parents and her godfather taking turns fawning on her I didn't get a chance

Oh I wanted to, but I didn't feel like I could intrude on the family moments. They didn't flat out tell me I couldn't come in but it just sort of felt like it would be rude of me to intrude.

Her parents were actually super nice. They actually flew a Starbucks order out to the hospital for us. They even let me put in an order for Shawn and Candy. The two actually came to the hospital to pick it up but wouldn't come up to see Rory. Which was rude, but apparently they were working on something big.

I said nothing, though I wanted to. Rory always stayed with us when we went to the hospital, it would have only been fair for them to stay too. But since they wouldn't I did. I stayed, even though I felt out of place in that room with her parents and her godfather

But eventually she got the okay to be released. Her parents tried to convince her to come back with them right then and there, but Rory refused. When that didn't work, Coog tried to get her to come back with him.

She turned that down too.

Which meant I got to drive her back to our cabin.

I could have had the conversation in the car, but I was about to bare my heart to her. I didn't want to do that in a car. I wanted to do that somewhere away from prying eyes, somewhere... less cramped... in case it went bad.

So instead we drove in silence, or well I drove and she road along beside me. I got her back to Earth and Body helped her out of the car and to the cabin, just because she had crutches didn't mean I trusted her to use them.

I was hoping to get her into the cabin to sit her down and have our talk but that was not to be either.

I opened the door to our cabin to a shout of surprised that scared a literal: "Bah! Jesus!" out of me. But the surprise wasn't for me, it was for Rory.

It was a welcome back party for Rory.

Candy and Shawn had invited everyone there. Our summer guards, the Pegs, including Bryce for some reason, and even the Fablehaven camp counsellors were there. The only people not there were Lacey, who had left for her brand-new office job earlier that week, and Marnie. I didn't give a rats ass where she was though.

Candy had decorated the place up with streamers and balloons. Shawn had grilled up some burgers and hot dogs for the guests, and someone had brought a cake that had a little lion toy stuck in the frosting that had red paw prints all over it.

Morbid and cute. Rory loved it.

I spent the whole party trying to keep Rory on the couch. Everyone could go to see her, she shouldn't have been moving around.