June Chapter 12

Shawn hasn't stopped groaning since I told him my plan

Shawn hasn't stopped groaning since I told him my plan. I don't know why he's protesting so much, it's not like he wasn't free food's biggest fan. And he loves Rory's cooking. I didn't have to get all dressed up, but I did. It felt weird going to the cabin next door, the cabin that used to be mine, but here I was, dressed up, making Shawn carry the case of beer we were bringing and knocking on the door.

Rory is the one who opens the door and she doesn't look surprised to see us. In fact she smiles widely glances over her shoulder to Jay and smugly says: "You owe me twenty bucks!"

She lets Shawn and I in and we find Jay at the kitchen island, he grumbles as he digs for his wallet and then begrudgingly hands a twenty over to Rory. She's set aside plates for us, but I see that her and Jay have already eaten. Shawn drops the case of beer in front of Jay and without saying anything goes for the bowl of spaghetti she's left out for us.

Rory's chewing her lips in worry and shooting me glances, but I don't want to deal with Shawn's temper tantrums at the moment. Jay seems to take this all in and snatches the bowl out of Shawn's hands before he can spoon any onto his plate.

"Is there something you want to say to Rory?" he asks Shawn.

Shawn is glaring at Jay, but Jay is glaring him down. Shawn turns to Rory and says: "I guess I forgive you for giving us all the classes," he says. He reaches for the bowl again but Jay holds it out of his reach. Shawn groans loudly and adds. "Fine, I'm sorry I've been rude, I'm not mad at you, now give me food!"

I exchanged glances with Rory as Jay hands Shawn back the bowl and he goes about serving himself and completely forgetting about me. Jay already has a beer cracked open but instead of drinking it hands it to Rory. I'm completely shocked by Jay's behaviour and a little pissed off that he's a better boyfriend to Rory then my boyfriend is to me. Rory and Jay aren't even dating.

Shawn is so busy shoveling food into his face that he doesn't even notice.

There is a low roll of thunder, and out of the corner of my eye I watch Rory. She's acting—not well mind you—like it wasn't something she was scare of at all. Alright, fine, I busy myself with putting food on my own plate and leave Rory to her pretending to be brave.

Then the thunder cracks, a real loud one and that time Rory jumps. I forget all about pretending to let her be brave and put a hand to her arm. When she turns a weak smile to me and I ask her: "You alright?"

"Perfectly fine," she lies. She hands me the beer that Jay uncapped for her, and moves towards the kettle no doubt to brew herself something to calm her nerves. I tried to catch Jay's eye, so try and glare at him to remind him what thunderstorms do to her but he's too busy drinking to catch my hint.

I can't help but wonder how things are going to go tonight with the new changes. Rory won't have anyone to help her through at, as I figure Jay is going to be spitefully oblivious. Sort makes me wish I can sleep over.