June Chapter 2

I hate it when Lacey calls meetings

I hate it when Lacey calls meetings. They're always a waste of my time. Nothing's going on at the pools at the current moment so I could be eating or sleeping or something but nope, we're sitting in the Pavilion's Staff Office waiting for Lacey to decide it's time to talk.

All of us are here, the four of us full timers anyway. Candy, Shawn, Rory, and I, we're all sitting on the couch watching her. I'm wedged between Shawn and Rory and not liking it. Rory makes me nervous, always has, I don't like the way she looks at me or how spastic she is, there's no rhyme or reason to why she does things and that angers me. I can't predict what she'll do next and no normal human being should be like that.

Currently—and I'm only guessing this because I have no fucking clue what's going on in her head—I think she's mad at me. She's been giving me attitude all week, pretty much since the beginning of the Summer Session. I can't seem to remember what exactly it is I did wrong this time and since I'm too proud to ask Shawn or Candy what I did, Rory and I are at a stalemate. She's obviously not going to tell me unless I ask, and I'm not going to ask unless she gets particularly awful, and even then I'm not going to apologize. I might buy her a new book or give her a hug or something, but saying sorry is just not my thing.

She better not be expecting an apology though, she should know me better by now.

I'm glaring at the side of Rory's face because she hasn't said anything to me since she arrived. Usually she's struck up some sort of conversation by now, but instead she's reading her book. I mean, I know what Rory's like when she has a good book but I've always been more important than that. She'd put the book down and talk to me whether I liked it or not, and I don't know why she's not doing it today, especially since we're so close both our arms and our thighs are touching. She's not even blushing, she's just sheet white and engrossed in that stupid novel.

Lacey claps her hands which is the signal for us to pay attention so the meeting can start. I notice that Rory's still reading and I can't help but feel better. So maybe she isn't mad at me and she's just really into that book she's reading. I have to nudge her before she puts the book down and once all eyes are on Lacey the meeting begins.

Lacey is a tall and willowy blonde lady, she's around my age, sitting at 29 and looking like she's at least 25. I think her eyes might be blue but to be honest I don't really look her in the eye too often. She has a penchant for wearing pencil skirts, almost see-through-ruffled blouses and really high stilettos. She's got that typical beauty you'd see in a magazine but she's kind of vapid, which is what you'd expect a beautiful blonde to be.

She smiles widely at us all and looks down to the professional looking folder in her hands. "Alright, first piece of business: Fablehaven. The Fablehaven Permit starts this week and we need to decide how we're going to rotate the...."

"Rory!" Candy, Shawn and I all shout at once interrupting Lacey and to my side Rory groans angrily.

"Oh come on! Really? I have to do Fablehaven all summer again?" she cried.