July Chapter 13

The morning after the argument with Bryce I woke up back in his cottage, in Bryce's bed

The morning after the argument with Bryce I woke up back in his cottage, in Bryce's bed. Which was surprising because I had gone to sleep on the couch in Milo and Daphne's cottage.

I woke up to Bryce's arms around me and instead of being warm and content like I had that one time I woke up in Jay's arms, I woke up in a complete and utter panic and hated myself for it.

Once I established where I was, I made myself calm down and relax. I got comfortable and stayed there and when Bryce woke up, he was all about the kissing and fooling around.

He was not happy that I still wasn't ready to take our relationship to the next level physically and honestly, I'm not usually this slow to it either. I just can't make myself go that far. Like i know if I do, Jay will never forgive me.

I shouldn't care but I do. And that makes all of this so much worse.

That morning I have a meeting with Bryce's Step-Father to discuss how to run my classes better to limit the amount of complaints that were coming in about me.

He's not happy when I demanded written proof that he wanted me to ignore rules regarding safety to make the patrons happy. He refused to write up a contract, I refused to run my classes in an unsafe manner.

My next aqua fitness class I stopped trying to teach fitness and let them jog and run their mouths. I got complaints about not teaching a proper class.

My next group water skiing lesson I ignored the safety ratios and let the front desk over book the class. I got complaints about not being able to give their special little snowflakes the amount of attention and time they paid for.

There was no pleasing these people.

In between lunch and my next set of lessons I went back to the cottage I shared with Bryce and cried. Then I spent the rest of the lunch hour fixing my make up so it didn't look like I had been sobbing and went back to work to gather in more complaints.

And that became my daily routine.

The only thing I had to look forward to was the Fablehaven Permit.

Bryce would drop me off and pick me up from the camp. Sometimes he would stay to watch, mostly to make sure Jay and I didn't make any small talk. But we still managed to while we were teaching.

The reason the Fablehaven Permit was my favourite, was not because of Jay, but because I wasn't questioned, or complained about. I was appreciated and no one sat me down and told me I wasn't being a team player.

And maybe, a little bit, because Jay and I were finally getting along.

He finally smiled at me, and actually wanted me around. Why the hell did he have to decide he liked me as a person and co-worker AFTER I left?

When I wasn't working at Polished Elite or at Fablehaven I was at Coog's. Drinking, a lot more than I should.

Sometimes I was there with Milo and Daphne, sometimes I called Candy to come and join me.

Most of the time, though, I was alone.

Coog was definitely very worried. I was starting to worry that he might inform my parents, but Coog had always had my back so I could probably hold him off for a bit before he got concerned to the point that he felt the need to pick up the phone.

This routine continued for two weeks.

Bryce got more and more frustrated with me and my desire to keep the physical aspects out of our relationship. I got more and more downhearted about the complaints I was getting, and I spent more and more time letting Milo and Daphne do me up. I was basically their little doll, and they loved to, as they called it, slut-me-up.

On this particular night out, I was with Daphne. We had gotten wild at a different bar, the classier lounge that the PEGs liked to go to. I returned to Bryce waiting up for me tapping his foot and glaring at me in a disapproving manner.

"What's the matter?" I ask him. I'm no longer laughing as I was when I came through the door. I'm not wasted but I'm definitely not sober.

"What is this reckless attitude, Rory," he snaps. "This isn't like you."

I find myself making a face. "You don't know me."

"I'm trying to get to know you, Rory, you're not letting me," Bryce argues.

"No, you're trying to fuck me. That's different."

For a minute Bryce just stares at me and I wonder if I've said something wrong. I've noticed that when I say things that get to be too real, he can't quite handle it. I think this may be one of those times.

"Is that what you think?" he whispers softly. "That sex is all I want? That's all I brought you here for?"

I look down. Part of me did believe that. Another part believed there was a different reason. Like they were trying to get back at Earth and Body by taking me, because it sure didn't feel like I was a valued improvement to their staff.

"I would have thought that, by now, you would have realized how hard this is for me," Bryce snarls. "I never know what to do with you. We're in unchartered waters and I'm just trying to keep afloat. You're not like any of the girls I'm used to, and honestly, you're killing me with the blue balls. I don't know if you're just holding on out me because of Jay or what, but by now I'm usually laid, and I'm not ever this nice about waiting."

I want to tell him that he hasn't exactly been nice about waiting but I don't say that. "It's not about Jay. You... you intimidate me. It's like your photoshopped or something and I'm just... well... I'm just plain old me. It takes me a while to get comfortable, that's all."

Bryce nods. "Things will get better Roar," he whispers and I try not to flinch when he uses that nickname because it's not his to use. "I promise to be more patient, but maybe you can help me with the whole blue-balls thing?"

I shrug. I guess I could try. It hasn't exactly been fair to leave him high and dry. It's not like I'm not attracted to him. He crosses to me and pulls me in his arms. His noses buries into my neck and he just stays there. After a moment he lets me go and smiles down to me.

I assume he's going to kiss me, but I'm wrong. He wants to talk some more.

"A little birdy tells me that your birthday is next week," he whispers into me ear. He presses a small kiss to my temple and I try to not frown. I hadn't wanted to celebrate my birthday this year, I hadn't told anyone at Polished Elite when it was. He must have gotten that info from my personnel file.

"There are invitations on the table. Hand them out to your Earth and Body friends, whoever you want to invite. But don't look at the card, I want it to be a surprise," he tells me. I shoot a glance to the table and spot a stack of the aforementioned envelopes. I think that's it but Bryce surprises me once more.

"You can invite everyone Rory and that includes Jay...if you really want to, of course."

I can tell by the way he looks at me that he doesn't really want me to invite Jay. And part of me realizes that it would be a terribly stupid idea to invite him.

Both for myself, who's trying desperately to get over him, and for Bryce who's been desperately trying to keep him from me.

I look at the stack of letters again and then back to Bryce. I've already made up my mind by the time I've crossed to him and put my lips on his. Luckily for me, he doesn't ask what I decided.