🍙Chapter 12~ Reinvention🥟

"Aw, the first-years were so adorable!" Tohru cooed, "Even some of them looked totally lost. The two of you really missed out by not coming to the opening ceremony to wish them well."

"Sounds horrible."

"Hard pass." Kyo and Uotani said in unison.

"I'm already suffering from this hay fever. Put me in a loud, cramped room and I'd be in hell." Uotani said.

"Stop complaining and take some meds." Kyo said.

"They don't work for me. Maybe all those drugs in my rebellious youth were a mistake."

"What drugs are you talkin' about?" Kyo asked, but she ignored him.

"I'm surprised the prince and [Y/n] aren't with you."' Uotani said, "[Y/n]'s usually your shadow."

Tohru smiled. "Well, everyone on the ceremony committee's really busy today."

"Man, sounds like a rough life. Plus, I bet the prince's getting mauled by love-struck first-years already." Uotani said.

Meanwhile, [Y/n] walked through the halls of the school with a clipboard in hand. She could hear the commotion from down the hall. [Y/n] took the whistle that was around her neck and blew into it, making all of the girls stop. [Y/n] put a hand on her hip and spit the whistle out before announcing, "Those who have a question for your senpai about this school or if you need help, stay. For those who are only here to gawk at Yuki, there's a fanclub for that, find Motoko Minagawa and I'm sure she'll gladly let you in."

The crowd dispersed while glaring and muttering unpleasant things about the girl. "Thank you." Yuki said, and [Y/n] presented her whistle with a sly smirk. "I guess my reputation precedes me. I have been named as the new captain of the new jujitsu club that's been started here, and now since I no longer have to pay for a membership in the judo club, I have reclaimed the title of captain."' She explained.

Yuki smiled at her, "That's good." His praise made [Y/n] smile even more.

[Y/n] hugged her clipboard. "This year...I'm really trying to reinvent myself. I even got new contacts." She said, "I don't want others to be scared of me anymore. Intimidated, maybe? I may not be as happy-go-lucky as Tohru, but I want others to see me as approachable. That was part of my New Year's wish." She explained.

"Why reinvent yourself?" Yuki asked as they walked together.

"For as long as I could remember, it's only been me and Tohru. People bullied us. It was rough. One day, when we were young, Tohru got lost running away from some bullies." [Y/n] said and glared slightly, "I blamed myself. I felt the need to always be there to protect Tohru, right at her side; I need to be tough so others wouldn't bother with her." [Y/n] then smiled, "Now, there are so many people who consider her a friend, and it actually makes me happy. I feel that I can relax a bit. I can be...softer."

"[Y/n]...you don't have to be tough all the time. It's okay to be sad. It's okay to cry. You can do all of those things and still protect Tohru." [Y/n] could hear Kyoko's voice and feel the warmth around her as if her mother was holding her, "And in the future, who knows, you'll have a bunch of friends willing to protect you and Tohru without thinking twice about it. When that happens, I know you'll soften up over time. Okay? My tough tiger."

[Y/n] sighed. "Hatsuharu was right. Talking to you does make me feel better." She said with a little smile.

Yuki sighed, "Honestly, please do not take anything he says seriously." Then he blushed a little and looked to the side, "But, if you ever need someone to speak to, you can always come to me. I like you just the way you are, Miss [Y/n]." He felt as though he got to know [Y/n] a little better. Like the walls she built were slowly falling.