🥟Chapter 38~The...End, Huh?🐭

"I'll hold another banquet, and another. I'll hold banquet after banquet. An eternal series of gatherings, forever unchanging. I may feel lonely, but I won't despair. Because everyone is waiting for me...on the other side of that promise." Words spoken in the long-distant past, lost in the years that followed. The original memory, forgotten by everyone. The original promise.

The winds were changing...

The tides were turning...

Something didn't feel right, like there was something truly life changing going to happen.

~~

[Y/n] stared in shock. "Tohru... Kureno..." She muttered, watching the taller man embrace her sister in the park. She'd received a phone call from Shigure earlier saying that Tohru needed her help at the house.

But here she was at the park, hugging Kureno. He didn't transform...

'Why didn't he transform...?' [Y/n] thought, and Kureno pushed Tohru away from him.

"It happened years ago. I was slightly younger than the two of you." Kureno explained as [Y/n] walked closer to them, "And since then, I haven't truly been one of them. Now... I can't fly."

"How'd the curse break?" Tohru asked.

"I don't know." He said, and it felt like a shot through [Y/n]'s heart, "It was there, and then it wasn't. Without warning...the bond was severed. It was like my field of vision opened up. Inside myself, there was only me. No other presence. The sky looked so blue. When I thought about how I'd never fly in again, it made me sad. But at the same time, I felt like I was...human. And I was happy."

[Y/n] was too in shock to even say anything. "But...the other zodiac members, they don't know. They still think that you're the Rooster. If it broke, why do you stay with Akito? I mean, there must be a reason. Something that binds you, even though you're not a zodiac member." Tohru said, and Kureno handed her something.

"Here." He said, "I thought you should have this back. It's wasted on me. Sorry. That's all I came to tell you." Tohru took the DVD, "I won't see her again. I'll stay where I belong. With Akito."

"I am the master of their hearts and souls. They belong to me."

[Y/n] glared and clutched her fists. "What about Arisa?" She finally spoke up, "She's waiting, hoping to see you again! And you're just going to throw it away like that?!" Angry tears filled [Y/n]'s eyes, and they could hear the pain in her voice, "I love him... I love Yuki so damn much that I would kill to be able to hug him! Embrace him! You have that opportunity, so what the hell is wrong with you?!"

Kureno looked away with a sad smile. "We met twice, Arisa and I. It's not as if we have some long history. Just... two trivial, insignificant meetings. If I never see her again, they'll become trivial, insignificant memories. Before they fade entirely." He said and looked up at the sky, "I doubt it will take long. So you don't have to worry. It's fine."

Tohru placed her hand on his cheek with tears in her eyes as while. "If that's true...why is your smile so sad?" [Y/n] asked, "It...was more than that, wasn't it?"

Kureno looked at her with widened eyes then he broke into tears, "I want to see her! I do! So badly." He admitted, "We only met twice, but...Even so, it was the first time I feel in love since the curse broke, and I became truly human. I could embrace her. Hold her in my arms. A touch that's only possible because I'm no longer possessed. The other zodiac members aren't so lucky-- still tormented by the curse I was freed from effortlessly. Me. I'm the only one. I can go where I want. Love whom I choose. But... that's exactly the reason. The reason I have to stay. To remain by Akito's side forever."