Comfortable Around Me

AYANOKOJI POV

Sports festival just ended. I was on my way to the school when I ran into Sudo.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, Ayanokoji."

"What happened? You seem out of energy."

I know that we just had our sports festival and Sudo eventually gave his everything. It's understandable if he got exhausted, but that was two days ago and this look from him was quite unusual.

"It's just.... I was so full of myself when I told the whole class that I will win the MVP for our team and not let anyone take it, especially the underclassmen. But I failed them and I couldn't meet Suzune's expectation once again. Tch!"

I see. So he still hasn't moved on from that. Everyone was definitely expecting Sudo to win the MVP title until someone from first year snatched it away from him.

Sudo indeed showed a very good result in every competition he was in, but Utomiya had a better result as he always won first place aside from Three-legged race. How much more, he was the only one who won against Housen, the MVP of the other team.

"But the truth is..... every time I recall that tiring four way tug of war, I slowly accepted that Utomiya deserved to win that instead of me."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not sure if you felt it too but, during that last pull, when we were one step away from winning the second round, though I was giving my all, I felt a very powerful force on the rope and was dragging me behind. And you see, no one but him was behind me on the four way tug of war."

Yeah. I felt it too and I know that strength was from him. Sudo is strong but definitely not that strong.

"I actually felt it too, but I thought that was yours."

I said that to Sudo, pretending that I don't know.

"You really thought? Man, that wasn't mine. Though I'm not as tired as everyone I could no longer use that amount of strength."

"But is that really all? You seemed to be dissatisfied with something else."

Sudo looked at me as if I guessed it right.

"How could you even tell?"

"You said that you already accept that Utomiya deserves taking that title from you but you still seem uneasy about something."

"Man, you're sharp."

Sudo was silent for a moment, still hesitating to say what made him uneasy. He looked like he wasn't sure of what he's thinking.

"Can I ask you a weird question instead? And answer me honestly okay?"

I nodded in response.

"You think that Utomiya guy was hitting on Suzune?"

Sudo moved his face closer to mine and asked that question in a low voice.

"Why would you even think that?"

Surprised by his question, I instead asked him back why he came up with that question.

"Dude, I told you to answer me honestly, not ask me back."

"How could I even answer you when I don't even know what you're talking about."

Disappointed, Sudo moved his face away from mine and pouted.

"Do you remember when Utomiya asked you what's your relationship with Suzune?"

"Yes. And?"

"Suzune went to our side after that right? And then she took Utomiya with her because of what she picked from scavenger hunt. As they went back to our side when the event ended, Utomiya was talking to her."