Chapter 13: Deja

"Not this shit again," I whisper as I feel my heart beating like it's about to gallop out of my chest as I try to carefully run through the forest in the darkness. Trying to keep from making too much noise or being seen, I hide behind a tree. My breathing is so rapid I'm not sure how not to make noise. Looking down at myself, I check and see once again I'm in these damn shorts and tank-top. "Why can't I be wearing jeans and a sweater or better yet why can't he chase me on the fucking beach," I think because the cold feels like it's seeping its way down to my bones. Crossing my arms in front of me, I rub my hands up my arms.

"This is getting old." I think when I wiggle my toes; they feel like they are frozen from all the caked-on mud.

"Grayson," I whisper, still rubbing my hands up and down my arms trying to get enough friction for some warmth. Squinting my eyes, I try to look around, but I still can't see anything. "Grayson," I whisper again but he doesn't respond. Looking up toward the sky, I try to find some kind of light, but I can't see anything and the trees are not letting a slither of the moonlight shine through.

"I can smell you, krasotka. You smell different, my love...but I still want you. I will still have you." He says. I try to stay calm and look around.

"Grayson," I whisper as I put my hands out in front of me and start moving again. Moving quickly as I can, I feel around for bushes and tree limbs.

"Deja why are you running from me, my love," I hear him say before an arm wraps around my chest pulling me close to a hard body. His tongue snakes out and licks a slow slimy path up my cheek.

"Let me go!" I shout as I try to get out of his grip.

Hearing rustling ahead I look up and see the giant - his red eyes are glowing. He's just standing still with his arms to his side. The man with the booming voice starts laughing. "Who are you and why are you trying to claim what's already mine!" The man hisses out. "You can't stop me. I will have my treasure."

The giant swings his hand out like he's swatting a fly, flinging the man a few feet away. The man hits the ground like a house cat - sliding across the ground but landing on his feet and hands. He has the bright light illuminating off him when he finally stands.

I'm scared now...like I think Grayson and I should run scared. I know deep down this will not end well when the man starts laughing. The laugh reminds me of the alien's laugh from the movie Predator - evil and menacing. When he reaches out his hand and twists his wrist and all I see is the giant reach up for his throat.

"Grayson, do something!" I shout through our link as I watch Grayson start gasping for air trying to grab whatever invisible clutch is around his neck. Deciding I can't just stand here and watch him die, I take off running toward him but I'm immediately thrown back when I run into some kind of invisible wall.

The force from me running into whatever that was sends me flying backward landing on my back knocking all the air out of my lungs. "What the fuck," I think laying on the cold hard ground.

When I'm finally able to roll over and my eyes land back on Grayson I'm not prepared in any way for what I see.

"Grayson get the fuck up!" I scream when he drops to his knees. Blood is pouring out his nose and the blue veins in his face are bulging out visibly on his pale skin. "Grayson please," I say through our link, but it's too late. It's like everything starts moving in slow motion; I'm screaming with tears rolling down my face, me beating on this invisible wall, the man still laughing like some crazed maniac, and Grayson...

The scene picks up as another scream is ripped out of my throat. I watch in utter horror as Grayson takes his last breath.

"She's mine." The man shouts.