Chapter 32: Daryl/Deja

Daryl

"Give me an hour," I say into the phone before hanging up. Parking my car I jump out and head north on Chester. This is the business district of downtown; this part doesn't have many people walking up and down the sidewalk at this time of the day like the Rivermarket district so it's harder to blend in.

We've walked about two blocks down and I've tried to stay at a distance, but also keep the person I'm following in view.  When I see him walk into what looks like a church I quickly hurry across the street and duck on the side of the building across from the church hoping he doesn't look back before I'm covered.

"Why the fuck are you going into the church?" I wonder, peeking around the corner. I don't see anyone else and I'm tempted to go inside and continue to follow him but It's too risky since I have no clue why he's here or with whom he's meeting. "Shit!"

For the past few days, I've been following different members of Aaron's group. I've been trying to find some clue as to what their plan is. Trying to find a hint as to where Grayson is before time runs out. But so far I've come up with nothing. Not a damn clue. Everyone is either going to the store, spending time with their families, or just doing normal mundane things.

I quickly glance down at my watch and see I've already been standing here for ten minutes, and I told Reign I would meet her in an hour. Two men in suits walk by the side of the building I'm standing by, so I turn around and slide my phone out of my pocket. When I don't hear their voices or footsteps anymore I peek around the building again hoping I didn't miss him coming out. Who I see is not at all who I would ever expect to see. "What the fuck is she doing here?"

Dayo. I scan the area to see if her mother or Aaron is with her but when I don't see anyone else I figure it must be a meeting between the two of them. But what could they be meeting about? The first time we ever met Dayo was the first time we met with Grayson.

I wait around for another fifteen minutes, and when I decide I've waited long enough I see them both come out of the church holding hands. I stare at that gesture and wonder what the hell is going on. Shawn has a mate and even though sanguivorous can have multiple mates it's rare in this day to have multiple mates, especially without your mate's approval.

He walks her over to the driver's door before he pulls her in for a kiss. The kiss is comical and I almost laugh out loud at how he is sucking both her lips into his mouth. Hell, I have seen gorillas kiss better than that. When they finally break for air she pulls something out of her bag and hands it to him. The item looked to be a bottle of some kind, but I didn't get a good look before he stuck it in his pocket.

"What the fuck are you up to Shawn?"

                                                     🐾

When I pull up to Grayson's house and get out of the car I immediately scent the wolves. "Fuck my life," I whisper. I knew they had been lurking around but I thought after months had passed they would have gone back to that den they call a town.

I scan the surrounding houses but don't see anyone. I have to give it to wolves, they are very good at hiding. If only they could mask their smell. I chuckle as I make my way to the front door thinking about how their houses must smell like wet dogs.

I knock on the door and wait. It takes a minute but the door slowly opens. When I step in I see Reign and a frazzled-looking Deja standing watching me step in. I take slow methodical steps - trying not to make any sudden movements because the girl looks to be about to shit her pants.

"What took you so long?" Reign asks, shutting the door behind me. Her expression tells me she is not in the mood for my shit. Which makes me only want to reach out and pull her closer and kiss the meanness out of the witch.