Chapter 17: Grayson

My strides are purposeful when I walk up to the doors of the law office of Edwards and Edwards. I'm here to see Daphany Moore the lawyer that handles all of Kori's and my affairs. She's nice, still a little skittish around me but I know I can go to her when I need help. Pulling open the glass door to the building, I'm met by a bright-eyed cheerful-looking receptionist sitting at the front desk. I don't have an appointment so I hope I can see Ms. Moore on short notice.

"How can I help you," She asks, still trying to keep that bright smile on her face, even though I can see her jaw trembling slightly.

"Daphany Moore."

"Do you have an appointment with Ms. Moore?" I shake my head at the question.

"Ok, let me call and see if she is available." She picks up her phone then pauses. "And who may I tell her is here to see her?"

"Grayson Adair." She nods before picking up the phone and dialing up to Ms. Moore's office. My eyes scan the area as I turn in a complete circle. It's a bright space with lots of windows. I thought law offices were dull with dark woods and furniture. This place is sleek and very modern.

My back is turned, and I'm staring out the window when I hear my name being called. I turn back toward the receptionist who is now off the phone, her nameplate reads Kristy, she's pointing toward the elevators. I was so lost in thought I didn't even hear her get off.

"You can take the elevator to the second floor. When you get off, make a right. Her office is the third on the right." I nod and head to the elevator.

When I step into the small elevator I pull out my phone and check the time. It's three twenty-seven and I have to pick up Deja at five. We haven't said much to each other all week. I'm not mad at her, just disappointed. I know I should be a little more understanding and patient that she doesn't get the ways of wolves. She doesn't understand the bond that my wolf and I have with her. She doesn't understand that there is no other for us.

Humans don't have that devotion to each other - they're fickle. They fall in and out of love faster than the seasons can change. I know not talking to her has made her a little sad. I know because I feel her emotions as if they are mine.

I've been sleeping in the backyard all week and my wolf has been suffering the most. I just can't get the pictures that she was projecting of her and that dude kissing out of my mind. I should kill him - cut his throat and drain his blood. Hang him up and watch the life slip from his eyes as all his organs stop working. That should give me enough blood to drink for at least a week.

I'm smiling inwardly at that thought when the elevator doors open and I step off. I make the right turn as instructed and walk down to the third door. When I'm about to knock the door flies open. A very flustered Daphany is standing there rubbing her hand over her hair that's in a bun she always wears. There's a tall white guy with long hair, dressed in a leather jacket and boots. He's smiling down at her but she looks away quickly.

Standing in the doorway, I can smell both of their arousal coming from out of the room like smoke from a burning fire. My wolf wines at the unpleasant scent. Not because they smell but because it's not Deja's.

When they both finally look over and see me standing at the door, the guy tries to stand taller. He looks me squarely in the eyes. A show of dominance or maybe marking his territory. Whatever it is if I will not be ducking my head and submitting, so I stare back unmoving.

Daphany walks over to stand between us. "Cole this is my client, Grayson. Grayson this is Cole."

"Nice to meet you," Cole says, reaching out his hand to shake, but Daphany places her hand on his giving him a slight shake of the head. He gives her a confused look but decides against any questions about her gesture.