Chapter 37: Grayson/Daryl

Grayson

I casually walk down the hall, taking a mental inventory of every guard I have passed, specific details of the hall, and every carved door. I'm going unnoticed as always, moving through the hall like a restless ghost. No one even knows I'm there, going about their everyday duties—some looking at their phone, some sleeping, others doing their job by standing at their post. But know one sense that I am among them walking silent.

It's storming today, causing the hall to be shrouded in darkness. This part of the hall has become familiar, so the darkness doesn't bother me. I could walk blindfolded and be fine. My ears twitch, hearing some talking behind the last door of this hall. It's strange because no one is ever on this side of the mansion. I stop, turning my head slightly to listen. The guard standing in front of me doesn't notice me, but like me, he's very interested in the conversation behind the door.

Slowly, walking closer to the guard and the door, I pick up pieces of the conversation. I can't make out much because they are whispering. I know who the woman is, but who is the man? I have never heard the voice before. I take a few more steps closer. I'm so close I can almost hear the heartbeat of the guard. When I get ready to walk through the door - I feel myself jerked back violently.

"Grayson! Grayson! Are you alright?" I look up at the worried eyes peering down on my sprawled body. I look around, catching sight of the trees surrounding the field we are sitting in. "Grayson?" She snaps her fingers in my face, bringing my attention to her.

"I'm good," I say, pulling myself to a seated position.

"Are you sure? I mean - you flew several feet?" She frowns. "And you were sitting." She stares at me like that act alone will tell her what I am not.

After still not answering, Reign sits back in front of me. "Ok." She pauses again and waits. "Since we are not getting far with that conversation, would you tell me how far you got this time?"

Running my hands down my face, I think back. "I didn't get far this time." I breathe out a heavy breath. "When I was almost at the stairs, I heard talking coming from one of the doors at the end of the hall."

"Talking? Who?" She asks.

"Aida." I shake my head. "The second voice I have never heard before." Reign tilts her head the way a wolf would do. "He was saying something about gaining his trust?"

"Well, isn't that what she is trying to do now?" Reign asks, looking more worried than I have ever seen her look.

"That's it - they were not talking about me."

"Well, if not you - who?"

"Darryl."

"Darryl?" Her confusion is written all over her face. "I'm confused. Why Daryl?"

"I'm not sure. When I stepped closer and was about to go through - I was pulled back. So I do not know what was said." I close my eyes and try to think of any other details that we could be missing. "Have you found out who threw the fire at Deja, Colby, and Beck?"

"No." She shakes her head. "I have an idea, but I don't want to say it until I'm positive. Colby has asked a few more members from your old pack to come and help with guarding and training. I haven't seen Daryl in a couple of weeks, so I'm not positive what he has been up to. I was thinking of asking Colby or Beck to track him down."

"No," I say firmly. "Let's just wait it out. I don't want anyone in danger until we can find out what Aida and this mystery man are seeking to get from Daryl. We have to be careful in everything we do. Do not let it slip that you have been coming here. Not to Daryl or Colby. Not even Deja. Each person plays a role in this puzzle, and before we can put it together - we must know how they fit."