Chapter 19: Deja

Last night I told Grayson that my grandmother may be able to help. When I was younger she would always tell us about wolves, vampires, and other things that walk around among us humans. I always thought she was just a little crazy and was talking about something in one of those telenovelas she likes to watch.

We pull up to the small bungalow-style house that I used to spend every one of my weekends over. I smile brightly at the memories. I turn and look at Grayson and see the frown on his face. Already knowing what he's probably thinking, I laugh.

"My grandfather is a bit of a junk rat, slash hoarder. I'm positive that's where he's at this morning. He's either at a flea market or auction. My grandmother hates the mess but she loves him too much to make him stop."

The front of the yard looks like a junkyard. There is a washing machine and couch on the porch, tires in the yard, a toilet on the side of the house, and that's just to name a few things. Some of this stuff has been here for years.

"You should see the backyard," I say laughing. Of course, Grayson's face stays blank, but I know he has questions.

We both walk toward the house; my grandfather put up a gate a few years ago to keep kids from stealing his stuff. When I open the gate I step in but Grayson stops. I turn to look at him. "Come on, " I say, frowning. He's looking around like he's searching for something.

"I can't. A wall or something is blocking me."

"What are you talking about?" I walk back toward him and grab his arm but when I pull him to come forward I feel when he bumps into whatever is stopping him.

"Get away from that evil, Deja." My head snaps around to my grandmother. All 4'11 of her is standing behind me tall like she's a giant holding the nine mm pistol of my grandfather's.

"Abuela, what are you doing?" Grayson isn't evil, so put that gun away." I whisper to her. My eyes dart around because the last thing I need is for a neighbor to call my uncle Javier.

"Deja, I said get away from him."

"No. This is ridiculous. Put the gun away. Grayson is not a threat to us, I promise."

Her eyes flick to him and then back to me. "Why did you bring him here?"

Sighing, I start biting my lip. I was hoping we could have this conversation in the house and without her holding a gun drawing attention to us.

"She already knows," I think before I rush out. "A vampire has been coming for me in my dreams. Last night he got upset because Grayson -" I tilt my head toward the giant. "Marked me."

She gasps and I can see the fear come over her face. She turns so ghostly pale, she looks to be ill. I immediately walk to her and place my hand on her shoulder. "Abuela, are you ok?"

"You bonded with one of those monsters? Why would you do that?"

Ignoring her questions, I turn and look at Grayson. "Abuela, Grayson is different. He's half-wolf, half-vampire, " I tell her as I turn back to her.

"You may enter," Is all she says before turning and heading into the house.

Grayson takes a step and this time he's able to step in. "Is she a witch?"

"I don't think so...but what do I know."

We both walk into the house. When we step in we are met with a familiar aroma. "Abuela are you cooking Arroz Con Gandules?"

"Si. It's Rosie's granddaughter's quinceaneras tonight and you know Rosie can't boil water."

"Si. I remember those horrible empanadillas" I laugh, closing my eyes as a shiver of disgust rolls over me. When I open them my grandma is staring at Grayson. It's a look of wonderment and fear.