Chapter 2: Grayson

"Where are you headed to now?" My mom asks me in that sad tone she uses every time I'm leaving. Allison, my mom is over the top overprotective. It can be a blessing and a curse, and it's been like this since I can remember.

Closing up my bookbag, I make sure I have everything I need. I don't need much - I'm a wolf so I can always phase and stay off in the woods, and honestly, that's where I would prefer to be. "Not sure, I'm just going to drive until I figure it out. I've already mapped out the areas that belong to the other packs; I know to keep out of those areas."

She blinks a few times trying to hold back the tears that are on the verge of falling. "Son, I'm sorry about all of this that has happened to you, but I promise you're going to get through it." She steps closer. I know she wants to touch me. Wolves like to be close to their pups. It gives them comfort.

"Mom I'm fine," I say to reassure her. I know she worries about me and I love her for it, more than she knows.

She nods and wipes at the one escaped tear. "Well, how long do you think you'll be gone?" She asks me with a wary smile on her face.

"Just a couple of days. Beck wants to go and you know he can't stay gone from the pack long."

Her head drops at my words. She wishes that I was like Beck - and the other pack members. She wishes I had that strong need to be with the pack like other wolves. I know she wishes I wasn't this heartless monster who doesn't like to be touched or around anyone - even my family.

Placing my hand on her shoulder I squeeze gently hoping that gives her something. I hope she knows how I feel without the words.

"Mom if you need me for anything you can always call me. I will have my cell." I know she won't need me. My mom is mated to Grant, the beta to our Alpha Hubert of the Northwestern Gray Wolves. We are the largest wolves and the largest pack in the world. "But I'm pretty sure Nora will keep you busy."

She smiles and nods at my words. Nora is the Alpha's mate and my mom's best friend. Both of them can fill up whole days cooking for and visiting the older wolves.

Grabbing my book bag and helmet I walk out of my house to my Ducati Multistrada 1260. My mom follows behind me. I don't bother locking my door no one is that stupid to walk in my house, and if they are that stupid it's nothing in there.

"Do you have everything you need?" My mom asks furrowing her brows.

"Yes. I have a few changes of clothes, toothbrush, and my sleeping bag." I look down at her. "I'm set."

"Underwear?"

"Yes, I have underwear too."

As we are standing discussing my underwear, Beckett or Beck, what most people call him pulls up on his Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager all black.

"Hey Allison," he says, taking off his helmet and dismounting his bike.

"Take care of my baby Beckett," my mom tells him.

Beck runs his hand down his chest and grins when he looks over at me. "Yes, ma'am I will."

Shaking my head, I wonder if this is a mother thing. I'm faster and stronger than any regular wolf. Even the Alpha's powers don't work on me. So it would make sense for her to tell me to take care of him.

"Well, mom we are going to head out."

She walks over and hugs me. Trying my hardest I don't stiffen at her touch. I know how much it hurts her for me to reject her touches. "Love you, Grayson," she tells me as I pat her as gently as possible.

Stepping back I mount my motorcycle. I look over and watch Beck give my mom a tight hug without any of the tension I have. She accepts his hug, probably needing the touch more than anything right now. I turn away.