Chapter 29: Daryl/Deja

Daryl

"I couldn't talk to her," Reign is saying when she slides in and closes the door to my car. "Nicholas came in right when I started to explain. We have to somehow get her alone. He's always hovering like her watch dog...no like some well-behaved stalker with standards." She sneakers and I feel a small surge of jealousy at her unaware jealousy.

"Jealous?"

Her face balls up in one of the most unattracted frowns I think I've ever seen on a woman. "Are you serious? Hell no I'm not jealous of that - that...fuckery." I laugh at her struggling to get out the curse word. "Why would I be jealous of some unrequited love? Because that's what that is." I shrug and laugh because she knows why she's jealous.

"How was she doing? That fall was pretty bad." I ask, starting up my car and turning on the heat. Reign is visibly shivering most likely from the cold wind blowing outside and the slight chill in the car.

"She seemed fine from what I could see. But I'm like you, I think Grayson is keeping her from remembering." She sighs as she lays her head back against the headrest. "As long as she can't remember anything do you think she's safe?"

"Not really sure. I have not seen anyone trying to get close, not even any of the wolves which is strange in itself. But we need her to talk to him. He's blocking everything...even himself." I've been trying to think of some other ways that would help me find Grayson, but I've come up with nothing. Hopefully, Aaron will call another meeting soon.

"Or he's visiting her in her dreams. You said he knew how to do that."

My eyes flick to her. Could that be possible? Even if she can't remember? Grayson never shared any of his plans with me. He never showed me what any of his abilities were. He was just starting to let me in slowly by asking me for help with keeping Deja safe. "You might be right, but how can we get her to talk to him in her dreams if she can't remember anything?" I answer, as I put the car in reverse and place my arm on the back of her seat. I get a whiff of Reign hair when I turn my body toward her to back up out of the parking space. It smells like peppermint and mango. I start to feel that familiar feeling of wanting when she is near and like always I immediately shut all thoughts of us down.

"Why don't you ever use your backup cameras?" Reign asks, pulling her seatbelt on. "I mean I know you have to check the sides, but I never see you use the cameras."

I wonder sometimes why I still do it even with a backup camera. "I guess driving as many years as I have...I guess it's just stuck." I shrug, putting the car in drive and pulling out of the crowded hospital's parking lot.

"How old are you anyway?"

"Why are you into older dudes," I ask, giving her my best flirty smile and raising my eyebrows in a suggestive way.

"No." She rolls her eyes dramatically and I burst out laughing. "So what do we do now?" She asks, changing the subject. I can tell from my peripheral view that she is staring at me expectantly. She has so much faith in me and I don't have a clue what to do next. If only I had been focused that day none of this would have happened.

Pulling up to the stoplight I turn and look at her. She's waiting for me to say something. "Shit!" I mentally chastise myself for not knowing what to do next but knowing I have to do something. Say something. "I just need to figure out a way to talk to him and I think Deja will be the best route."

"How do you plan on getting close to her with the watchdog always hovering?"

"Kidnap."

🐾