Chapter 5: Promises Past

With his beaming grey eyes, the young boy looks up at me with anticipation and hope for appraisal. "Edythe! Look! Look!" he exclaims, shoving his carved wooden horse into my hands.

I take it, a soft smile already forming on my lips. "What's this?" I ask. Of course, I already know what it is, identifying the horse and its rider with ease. Tyrant is making strides in his creativity. Despite being only 8, he displays a natural talent for carving wood.

"A horse and his rider, silly!" Tyrant exclaims, nudging my shoulder.

Laughter spills from my mouth as I continue to examine his work. "Well, it's a magnificent horse and rider, Tyrant. You should carve more often."

"Mr Blaze says that I could become a great artist", Tyrant tells me. The boy pulls himself onto a seat, his legs dangling over the ground.

I giggle. "Is that so?"

"Mhm! And he says I may also be just like you one day, Edythe!" Tyrant beams.

"And what is that?"

"One of The Wolf's friends", Tyrant answers.

My smile falters at the innocent words. They carve into my soul.

I have begun to wonder if I should find a way out of here for some time. Someway that won't end in my head on a spike. For a time, I had thought this was the life I wanted for myself, but alas, once again, I have found that I don't belong.

All I want is to belong to something. To anything. But this family. It's not what I thought it to be. Being a family member doesn't mean anything. You mean as much to Ronon as an ant that he steps on. He may bribe you with promises, but in the end, if you ever want anything for yourself, he terrifies you with threats.

I don't want that for Tyrant.

"We'll see", I whisper, running my hand through the boy's dark curls.

"Edythe?" Tyrant frets, sadness filling his features.

"Yes?"

"I don't want to leave you," he whines.

I sniff back the tears threatening to spill. "I know, tiger. But unfortunately, we don't get to have what we want in this life."

"B-But will you be okay?" He asks, glossy grey eyes peering up at me with concern.

A smile tugs at my lips. "I'll be okay. I promise. And so will you. Remus is a delightful man. He and his wife will teach you much and look after you as though you are their own."

"But-w-will we ever see each other again?" Tyrant demands, "how will we find each other?"

I sigh, continuing to brush through his hair. My eyes wander into the distance as I try to think of any way to rid Tyrant of his fears. Looking over my wall, I see the carvings that I made a long time ago when I had first found myself in this horrible place. A small smile tugs at my lips, giving me an idea.

"Hey Tyrant, follow me", I offer, the boy taking my hand as I lead him over to the wall.

I kneel, the boy mirroring my actions. I smile at him, pulling out my dagger.

"Here", I begin to carve my initials into the wall, digging away at the black brick. Tyrant frowns as I do so. "Now you do yours", I offer the dagger to the boy.

He takes it without hesitation. Despite only being 8, he has fierce bravery and maturity that most children his age would never have. Tyrant begins to carve his initials into the wall beside mine. His tongue tucked between his teeth in concentration.