Chapter 19: Let There Be War

The remaining champions looked haunting. Half in terrible states cloaked in blood and sadness and the other half covered in blood and pride. The knights stood out from the crowd in their chainmail and indifferent stares. The room of criminals found them to be quite exciting. It was no doubt that they would be a crowd favourite.

It is another one of Ronon's theatrics, putting them on display like this, chained to the wall on a stage for all to see. Before every trial, there is a party for the tournament's remaining festivities. Putting them on display allows sponsors to meet their favourite champions and even offer them gifts. Most of the time, it's a way for others to give thanks for their sacrifice.

Arthur and I hold a stone stare from across the room. Seated beside Ronon, I must look like an entirely different person to my brother. Despite the situation, Gwaine seems to be enjoying the attention of some women. No doubt daughters of family members. The others seem more sombre, despising the attention.

"I heard the rebels were planning an attack this weekend", Blaze offers, seated to Ronon's right and me to Ronon's left.

"Is that so?" Ronon hums, taking a sip of his drink. "Aro heard different."

Aro, who stands before Ronon among Kohl and other members, Thierry and Kyran, states, "Yes, I heard they plan on making some sort of movement during the second trial tomorrow. I don't know what, but apparently, it's big."

Kohl and I share a glance. Kohl shows no sign of any reaction, but I know, just like me, he is shocked that Aro could find out about our plan. Even if he doesn't know the plan, he knows when we plan to enact it.

"And why should we believe anything that we hear?" Kohl questions, crossing his arms. "Maybe the rebels are setting up a fake date so that we don't know when they're coming."

"I promise, my source is reliable", Aro grumbles, giving Kohl a suspicious glare.

"Kohl is right," Ronon acknowledges, seemingly bored with the conversation as he resumes watching the champions. "We must stay vigilant. We must listen to all rumours, assuming that they could be either fact or fiction. No matter what, we will be prepared."

"The rebels surely wouldn't risk attacking on a day we have so many allies present", I offer, trying to sound reassuring.

Blaze takes a sip of his drink. "I wouldn't put it past them."

As the party goes on, silence comes over the group, men becoming drunker and the dancing becoming slurred. Thierry and Kyran bid us goodnight, moving on to join the party. I notice Aro staring at Kohl and me as if he knows our secret. His eyes are full of fury and fire. If he does have someone in amongst the rebels, he'll know the names of everyone involved. Aro was already a threat for knowing my ties with Camelot, and now he's a threat to the whole rebel plan.

Kohl notices his staring, too, giving me a knowing glance. We'll be discussing this later. We both know that we're going to have to do something with him. The only way we can make any plans without them possibly being passed on to Aro is we're going to have to take him out of the picture.

"Kohl, may I speak with you in private?" Ronon requests, placing his drink down on the table beside his throne.

"Of course", Kohl bows, giving me a reassuring smile as he follows Ronon from the room.

Blaze signs, draining the remains of his drink. "I'm going to join the party. Seems a waste to leave all those lonely women out there."

I watch Blaze leave with disgust. As I stand to join the knights and Merlin across the room, I feel a hand wrap around my upper arm. I quickly snatch my arm back out of his grasp, but Aro latches back onto my arm, pulling me in close. I struggle against him for a second as I try to retreat in disgust.