Chapter 27: When Heros Fall

My knees bleed, and my feet are scabbed of flesh, but I pay no mind to the pain, all worry for myself swept away with the man laid dead in the main hall. My mind is absent of any feeling, no fear or pain, just a numbness. My fate is no longer in my own hands, and all I can do is wait for the inevitable end.

I'm locked so far away in my mind I don't even notice that we're in the labyrinth until I hear the cries of the champions. If I hadn't already given into the pain, I now realise that I have condemned all of my friends and will have to watch them suffer. I will only be able to pray to the gods that Leitta leads the rebels on to save them in time.

"Home sweet home", One of the guards mocks with a laugh, dropping me to the dirt ground.

I groan as I hit the hard surface. I don't have to look to know that I'm in Jackson's cell. I know Ronon would have put me next to the knights just for some sick satisfaction before he kills me. My thoughts are confirmed as I hear the shrieks and cries of the knights of Camelot. I don't listen to their words, though, as I lay here.

The tears fall, but I make no sound, accepting my fate. I pray the knights will survive the final trial. I am a lost cause. There's no point in fighting. I'm dead. At least I will join Kohl on the other side...

"Edythe!" Leon's voice demands, his voice the only one I hear over the others.

It gives me enough strength to at least pull myself into a seated position, back still facing them. Their questions of concern rumble through my head, but I don't answer any of them.

"He's dead," I state, my voice nothing but a croak.

"Who?" they all ask in unison.

"K..."I sob, trying to sound his name out. "Kohl...he's gone. He's gone. He's gone."

I repeat the words in a loop, my voice getting softer and softer as the tears begin to stream. The knights and Arthur try to comfort me, but I don't hear them as I continue.

"He's gone."

"Edythe," Leon's voice overbears all the others. "I'm sorry...I know what he was to you...."

Everyone pauses their questions to look at Leon questionably. Even I, with tear-stained cheeks, turn to peer at Leon. Our eyes met for the first time since our conversation earlier, when we admitted feelings for one another. He knew, just as Kohl had known my love for Leon that I also had some affections for Kohl.

It sends a sharp, unbearable pain to think I have condemned Leon to love me. I sentenced Kohl to his death, and now I am also condemning Leon, condemning them all. I'm a sickness that needs to be abolished. It was always me. All of this was Ronon trying to get to me. And he's won.

"H-he was going to get you out, Leon", I sniffle. "All of you...for me."

Leon nods, sadness taking his handsome features. "Kohl did everything he could, and he knew the dangers."

My cell door swings open before anyone can ask what's happening, the guards reappearing with a mangled body between them. I stumble to my feet, not expecting them to return so soon. The air floods from my lungs as I make out the red scarf and leather jacket.

"Melin!" I wail, rushing to the warlock's aid as the guards dump him into the cell. His face is bruised and bloodied, his lips split and bleeding profusely. He grabs onto my arm as I pull him into my lap, cradling him as I observe over his flesh for any more wounds. I find him bruised everywhere, with a few cuts over his slim body. 

"I'm so sorry, Merlin," I sob, knowing this was my doing. He couldn't even fight back because I told him not to use his magic.

"I'm fine," Merlin coughs.