Chapter 1: Lady Of Camelot

The bells chime on and on, echoing through the halls of Camelot and into the fresh night air. What had been a peaceful, stunning, moonlit night turned into a chaotic circus. I had run to my room and locked myself in as instructed. I didn't want to cause any more trouble than I already had.

I await the news of the thief's containment, dreading to know what the following hours will hold. I sit on my bed–knees pulled firm against my chest, mind absent as I stare into space. I'm shocked, speechless of words, as I replay my encounter with the man repeatedly in my mind.

The sound of distant cries brings me briefly back to the present. They draw my sight to the window. Figures scurry in frantic search under the moonlight. The knights disperse into the night, lit torches bobbing in the darkness. I can also hear feet outside my room, often rushing past, an odd murmur of orders.

I try to get ready for bed, becoming more anxious when the warning bells finally end. But even after the bells have sung their last tune, I cannot get the bellowing out of my bones and soul. It feels like the tune still vibrates through my blood and thundering in my mind.

I stare at my door for a while, hoping for someone to come and inform me of what is happening. Yet another part of me wants to be left alone and remain in my thoughts forever.

I'm restless. Part of me fears the young man I ran into in the castle tunnels, the knowledge he now has, and what he tends to do with it. To whom he will provide this new information.

Another part prays that the knights have captured him and hopes that whatever he had stolen will be found. Yet there is also anxiety for the young man. I fear what will happen if he's caught and dread watching him be executed even more.

The night drags on, and sleep becomes a distant memory. I try to think of what may have happened and if my worries are certain. I climb under the covers of my bed, my mind unable to rest and my body too alert for sleep. I pull the covers up to my chin, curling onto my side.

There's a soft knock at my door; the sound seems like a distant blur. I don't respond, too numb to the world to even register that I have a guest. I don't want to talk to anyone right now anyway.

"Edythe?" a voice from the other side of the door calls. "It's me. Can I come in?"

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath in response to Leon's voice. I cannot ignore his request as if it were anyone else standing on the other side of that door.

"Yes", I call quietly. Dread for the conversation that may follow fills the pit of my stomach. I try to prepare for the shame I will feel in his presence.

The wooden doors creep open, Sir Leon's shadowed stature peering in the door. I pull myself into a seated position but don't move from the safety of my covers. I'm terrified I will melt in reality's embrace if I do.

Leon doesn't look as angry or betrayed as I thought he would. He seems to pity me. He approaches in calculated movements, concerned I may crack under sudden movement. "Sorry to intrude, malady-"

"-Edythe", I correct, voice quiet.

"Edythe", he corrects, a weak smile tugging at his lips ", Arthur has requested your presence."

I nod, closing my eyes once again to prepare myself mentally. "I suppose he would."

Earlier...

My skilled hands work fast and steady as I knead the dark string through the needle. My skin stains under vibrant red blood, making my fingers warm. My thoughts are silent, the task at hand pushing all distractions aside as I focus on the man before me. He wails in pain, screaming bloody murder as I press the needle to his finger gently.