Chapter 15: Kohl

I stare across the room at the man. He's tall, well built under his black vest and white undershirt. I can't help but listen to him intently, his voice soothing and calm despite the conversation. There's no way he could be the same Kohl Leitta was talking about. Could he?

The way he speaks of the rebels and confidently expresses his opinion in court is too authentic for him to be a rebel. Although Leitta did say that family members were joining the rebel cause, I simply couldn't see this man, Kohl, as the most trustworthy. So much so that I would seek him out if I wished to join the rebels.

Yet, I don't have many options. I know I have to ally with the rebels if there's even the slightest chance I could get the knights out of here alive. I have to make any sacrifice that I can. I will do anything to save my friends, whether that means going through Ronon or the rebels.

Kohl's bright green eyes waver in my direction, catching me off guard. But I don't look away. We lock eyes for a moment, an unspoken request to speak after the meeting is granted. He smirks, a row of straight sharp teeth peaking through his lips.

He's far too well kept for a simple thief or slave trader. He must be something else. Something of great title and stance, yet something that Ronon finds useful. Something that must be of a significant loss for him if Kohl plans to mutineer against him.

Once the meeting is over, everyone disperses to do their duties. Ronon and Blaze make for the exit, having business of their own to attend. As I make for the door, I linger in the hallway, hoping that I made the right decision reaching out to Kohl.

"M'lady", Kohl's angelic voice greets. 

I turn swiftly, the tall man standing by my side, his hands clasped behind his back. I wonder why he is so well kept. And he has manners as well, much like what would be taught in a noble household. But what would someone of noble birth be doing here?

"Kohl", I nod in greeting. "I hear you're the man to talk to."

A grin flashes across his lips as Kohl looks to the ground with a bashful chuckle. "I believe so. Shall I accompany you back to your chambers?"

I glimpse at the guards by the door, giving Kohl a nod. "Please, that would be delightful."

Kohl offers for me to take the lead, following gracefully beside me. His hands remain clasped behind his back. "So. What is it you wished to speak about?" he asks. "I am quite knowledgeable in most affairs around here. You'll have to enlighten me on what you seek."

Taking in a weary breath, I peek over my shoulder. "Leitta spoke to me about a...secret club."

"Oh, I see."

"She wishes for me to be the leader."

"Many do", Kohl offers. "As do I."

"But why?" I demand, shocked that another person would want me as a leader.

Kohl chuckles. "You clearly don't know the respect you have in these parts. Or the influence."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means...that for this...club to succeed. We need someone who won't back down. Someone who will see this through to the very end."

"And you think I may do this?"

"Well, you are here talking to me, are you not?" Kohl smirks down at me. "You wouldn't have sought me out if you weren't at least considering."

I fall silent, pressing my lips together in annoyance. This only fuels Kohl's amusement.

Now out of earshot, Kohl speaks openly. "If this is the means to Ronon's end, I will do whatever it takes to convince you."

I narrow my eyes on Kohl, coming to a halt in the dark abandoned hallway. "I have all the same reasons as you to wish for Ronon's end, perhaps more. I don't know. But why does that mean I have to be a leader? I'm not a leader. I'm a survivor. A fighter."