Chapter 29: The Final Trial

Third Person P.O.V.

The arena seemed so vast despite how small the castle was from the outside. It was clear that magic had created this illusion, only to make the champions suffer. The champions are escorted to the centre of the arena in single file, the remaining few seeming pitiful compared to the beginning of the tournament.

It hasn't gone unnoticed; the newcomer added to the tournament's last trial as his punishment. Having not seen the man in a week, Aro looks utterly broken and tormented. Whatever he had endured for the week plays over blatantly behind his hazel eyes. Despite the anger and resentment for Aro, the knights feel slightly sympathetic to him. Once a powerful man, now broken down to shackles, bruises and hollow eyes.  

Arthur has his eyes pinned on the back of Aro's head, knowing that this new foe may be a royal pain in the arse this trial. If they didn't have enough to worry about, now they have a vengeful Aro on their tail.

Forming a spread out circle, the champions are unshackled, left with a sword at their feet. The guards make their work quick, retreating out of the arena before anything can begin. Although there is a pull to grab the swords and start fighting, no one moves, eyes rushing between each other for fear of what Ronon may do.

"Welcome, my friends!" Ronon's deep voice echoes from above. The champions all look to the sky above, finding Ronon seated on his throne on the ledge above the arena. Beside him is Blaze, his usual smirk plastered on his lips, and Edythe and Merlin stand chained, the chains linked at the bottom of Ronon's throne as if to display them as his property.

The image brings snarls to the knights' throats.

"As many of you know, there are traitors in our midst", Ronon continues, eyes scanning over the crowd. "But I assure you, they are taken care of and will be dealt with promptly."

The crowd's silence speaks for the fear that Ronon elects from everyone.

"For now, I bid you enjoy the final trial, drink, and celebrate another year of peace and prosperity", Ronon offers, his voice lathered with a sadistic smoothness like a haunting caress. "For those loyal to me have earned it...let the trial begin."

On cue, the crowd bursts into cheers. Ronon stands from his throne, a silver cloth in hand. He raises it above his head, over the edge of the ledge and throws the cloth. The air pulls it out into the centre of the arena, gliding at a slow and agonising pace. Despite all the pain on the cusp, the cloth seems almost angelic as it flutters through the air in the slowly setting sun.

The cloth doesn't even hit the ground before the fight starts. Cries erupt from all champions, swords raised, ready for the battle. The first few blades make contact, echoing through the arena.

Most of the unusually large group for the final trial decide to target Aro as he is new meat. Aro doesn't falter, however, managing to steal another sword for himself and coordinating between the two. The men attacking him don't stand a chance. Aro slaughters the lot of them. His anger at the rebels and being punished only fuels his fire.

The knights each engage in their own duels with other champions, Arthur quickly managing to take down his own before pursuing another one. After defeating his own, Gwaine rushes to Leon's aid, the knight struggling against his massive opponent. The man doesn't stand a chance with the two of them coordinating, falling to the ground defeated.

Elyan and his opponent find themselves being lost in the forest, trying to deflect and escape the other. With two champions pursuing him, Percival fades away into the thickest part of the forest. The others remain, fighting off the other champions to their best ability.