Chapter 13: Choices To Be Made

Third Person P.O.V

The once full cells have become bare. The distant chatter of Ronon's men has grown louder than the cells had been. Half of the competitors are gone, leaving behind a haunting quiet series of cells. Champions, as Ronon had called them. The cells across from the knights now lay empty in the absence of numbers.

The group argues in hushed voices. Each Knight is tired, troubled by the events past. Emotions are high, which doesn't make communicating any easier.

Leon cannot find the strength to bicker. He sits alone in silence, back to the wall as he stares without purpose. Like Leon, Elyan stands off to the side, listening to the argument. Although still in a daze, he tries to offer his input to the group.

"We need to look at it this way. If we stay vigilant and united, we will find a way to get out of here," Arthur reasons. He is the cleanest of the group, with no blood staining his chainmail or bruises littering his face.

"Can we honestly say that's a good plan?" Gwaine retaliates, wincing as he throws his hands up in frustration. He looks the worst of the group, face covered in patches of dark bruises. Gwaine tries not to let on that he is in pain, but the others can see that with every breath, he struggles.

"You heard what he did to Elyan. Ronon will turn us against each other. Or force us to! We don't even know what he did to Leon! I mean, look at him!" Gwaine gestures toward the knight. "What's to stop that from happening again?"

Percival leans against the barred door. He remains one of the only knights with the strength to stand. "I agree, Gwaine. We need to get out of here. But Edythe said she'll find a way. We have to play along until-"

"Until what? Until we all start killing each other?" Gwaine demands.

Arthur shakes his head. "I trust Edythe-"

"And I do too! God knows I do, but we can't continue this madness!"

The bickering continues, the cycle neverending.

Paying no mind to them, Leon stares distantly, trapped in the horrors that Ronon had shown to him. One moment, he was in the cage and the next, inside his worst nightmare. Leon watched his friends, everyone he ever cared about die in agony. Flame tore at their flesh, but it was slow. Their deaths would be drawn out, and Leon could do nothing to save them. That was Ronon's threat, which Leon will not take lightly.

"We have no choice", Leon declares, cutting off the conversation. Arthur, Gwaine and Percival fall silent to turn in his direction. Leon peers up at his friends. "Edythe was right. Ronon knows things; he can see right through us. He'll know if we plan an escape."

"Then what do we do?" Gwaine questions.

"We do as Edythe says."

"She said to stay united", Elyan agrees, breaking out of his daze also. "We will do that."

"By God, do you, men, ever shut up?" Jackson's voice groans from his cell. "Some of us need sleep, you know!" 

"Awe, I'm sorry, are we disturbing your nap time?" Gwaine taunts in a sing-song voice.

"You shouldn't doubt her, you know", Jackson retaliates, ignoring Gwaine's comment. "Edythe. She's smart."

"We know that", Arthur snaps, making no effort to move from his position by the door. "We're not doubting her."

"Sure you're not", Jackson chuckles. "You know her for her smarts surviving in your world. I know her for her smarts surviving in this one. And trust me. She's one of the best manipulators here. She'd never admit it, but...she fits in here just fine."