Chapter 9: Deal

My eyes navigate the old features of what was once my bedroom. The same forest green decors cover the bed and the small window on the far wall. It's still as small as I remember, the narrow room remaining as claustrophobic as ever. Various candles light the room, little sunlight creeping in through the window. No emotions stir seeing it. Instead, there is indifference. It is nothing more than a ghost from my past.

Merlin stumbles into the room behind me, the guard wishing me a good stay. His words do not sway me, even as he offers his services before leaving.

"What the hell is going on?" Merlin demands, breathless.

I make no effort to answer, absent-minded as I walk toward the window. Merlin's voice calls my name, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I step onto the small stone ledge, peering out the clear glass.

My breath hitches as the familiar arena is revealed. Still, it stands in the same place I had last seen it—the same blood-stained ruins hidden amongst the forest below. One wouldn't believe it large enough to hold a tournament, but I know it's cursed.

To those watching, it is a small arena. You can see the competitors at all times. But to the participants below, the forest feels and appears as though it goes on forever. Ronon cursed the arena to change and evolve. It torments the players and makes it harder to win on pure strength and skill.

"Edythe," Merlin grabs my shoulder roughly, forcing me to look at him. "You have a lot of explaining to do."

"I know."

"Maybe start with, why the hell did you let them take us?"

"Because otherwise, you'd all be in that forest dead", I hiss, pushing past Merlin. I march toward the fireplace. "Getting caught was me thinking fast. At least in the arena, the Knights stand a chance. Out here, with these guys, not so much."

The fireplace sparks to life as I drag some flint against tinder. Nothing in my room has changed. It makes it easier for me to navigate.

"What does that mean?" he presses.

"It means. We're dealing with things normal people don't understand. Stuff that you don't even understand, Merlin," I explain, flame finally lighting in amongst the wood. "Ronon is bad news. Which means no magic for you."

"What?"

"You heard me," I retort, standing to my full high as I turn on Merlin. His eyes are wide, staring back at me like I'm insane. "If you even breathe a spell, Ronon will be onto you like a dog. He may literally set his dogs on you."

"You can't ask me to do that," Merlin stands his ground. "I need to help the knights. Arthur!"

"And what use are you to them dead?"

"I don't know. But I can't just-"

"You can. And you will."

"Edythe-"

"Merlin. You're not just dealing with petty stupid half-wits anymore. These people are the real deal. Understand. These people are the worst of the worst. Ronon is worse than Morgana-believe it or not. He will destroy everything if he ever gets the chance. Because that's the monster he is.

"He isn't evil because he wants a throne or revenge. No. He comes from the old times. Times when magic was worshipped and feared beyond measure. He comes from when people bowed at his feet because he was powerful. Ronon thinks those with magic are superior to everyone else. He thinks he's superior to everyone. Those with or without magic."

Merlin falls silent, hanging off my every word. Despite his reluctance to abandon his magic, I can see that he is becoming reasonable. The picture I paint for him is putting everything into perspective.