Chapter 6: The Hills Have Eyes

Somehow without much convincing, I persuaded Arthur to agree to let me go ahead alone. It surprised me to no end that he would allow me this. I can't believe that it was his idea to do this. Along this journey, I had no doubt I would have to try and convince him to let me take the lead for once. Arthur has learned what I can do over the years despite his stubbornness and has allowed me to go in this alone.

I snuck ahead in the depths of the forests. My breathing increases to an uneven pace as I'm starting to feel a strange deja vu. I don't want to be here, but I want to help Arthur. I can give up this small part of my sanity and needs to do what is right for my brother.

Before I had left, he placed his hand on my shoulder, concern riddling his face. I haven't seen that concern in a long time. "Be careful", he had said. And he meant it. It was a different kind of request. It was a plea. And I intend to pull through for him and the knights and Merlin.

I reach the edge of the forest line. The breath in my throat hitching the flags draped over the edges of fallen walls come into view. Stacks of bricks riddle the open plain. They were displaced from the remains of the small castle once owned by someone rich and powerful. How they would toss in their grave to know what it is used for now.

As I peer from behind a tree, I can feel the darkness and cruel natures of the men inside seeping out. The number of people already present overwhelms me. There's more than I expected. Men stand guard at the entrance, as expected. No doubt someone, a slave trader most likely, would be in charge of running the foundations this year.

Lucky enough for me, if I put on a brave face and hold my head up high, I should be able to walk straight through the front door.

Adjusting the weapons the knights had equipped me with, I began to stride toward the castle. Even though I am reluctant to, somehow, my body manages to defy my wants. So, I move toward the castle and all the deadly people residing within it.

As I emerge from the forest, putting on a brave face, I stride toward the castle. My presence is immediately known, heads turning in my direction as I make for the clearing of tents and men. I fix my gaze ahead, catching curious looks and stares toward me in my peripheral. There aren't many women present, and the ones I can see don't look like they are here by consent. I swallow back a nauseous feeling.

As I reach the entrance to the castle, my stiff limbs come to a stop. My breath is heavy, but I manage to keep my mask on. It's strange; I don't feel too scared. No, I'm pretty calm and confident. It is like I'm acquainted with the atmosphere. Like I'm greeting an old friend...

The guards walk up to me, looking up and down my structure. Their eyes linger longer than necessary, bringing a scroll to my face in disgust.

"Are you lost, darling?" one asks, a menacing smile on his face.

"This is the meeting of the Grand Keep, is it not?" I demand in a bored tone.

The guard's smile fades. "You have the phrase then, I presume?"

Somehow I can feel the eyes of the knights on my back, watching from the cover of the forest. "Dum lupus freno."

The guard rolls his eyes as if bored that I haven't turned out to be some little plaything. Only a few women have respect at these kinds of places. I have long known the phrase, and I will probably remember it until the day I die.

"Now, let's try that again, shall we?" I taunt, holding out my hand and waiting for the coin I'm owed. "You say 'Have a good day, malady'."

Pressing his lips in anger, the man drops the coin into my palm. "Have a good day, malady", he retorts mockingly.