Chapter 18: Making Plans

Kohl's mouth gapes open in shock. "You've seen it?"

"Yes."

"And you know how to get to it?"

"Yes and no", I answer, glancing over my shoulder to make sure no one is coming. "I know where it is, but I don't know what kind of defences he has. Something of magic, I know that much."

Kohl mirrors my movements, making sure no one is listening as he processes what has been said. He still seems shocked that I found the stone so soon. "This is brilliant, Edythe. We're so close to the second phase of our plans."

I nod, sighing. "I know...and that's why I'm going to be stealing it this weekend. When the second trial is underway, Ronon will be too busy playing with his toys to notice."

"Those toys are your friends," Kohl reminds me. His eyes cautiously observe me as if I am a stranger. I guess in some ways, I am. I have to be for this to work.

"I know. But they are strong. They can do it," I state with confidence. I do not doubt their abilities. I have to believe that they will be okay.

"Won't he suspect you? You are the only one who knows where the stone is."

"Not actually. Blaze knows of its existence, and so does a guard who patrols the hall," I explain. "I hate to say it, but if anyone is going to look bad, it's the guard."

"So we're going to cover this up. Make it look like the guard did wrong? You know the kind of fate you're condemning him to?"

"I know...I feel sick even thinking about it."

That's a lie. I didn't even think about the fate I would bring upon him. I know that no morally sane person would do such a thing, but I'm at my wit's end. If his death is a means to an end, so be it.

Kohl shakes his head. "Don't. This guard would do the same given a chance. If you want to win this fight, you're going to need to do this kind of scheming. Sacrifices need to be made. And if you want to help us truly, you have to commit fully." Kohl continues.

His words mirror my thoughts, fuelling my justification to do this cruel act.

"Look at it this way. You'll be making this one sacrifice to save those you love."

"That doesn't make it any less a cruel act."

"Didn't say it wasn't cruel. But in times like these, you have to fight dirty to win against those who fight dirtier."

I agree with his words, even if it shocks me to say so. Those I love will surely disagree with the sentiment, but I don't care. They will thank me later. I need that stone, and if I need to point fingers and pin the blame, I will.

But we need a convincing diversion so that Ronon doesn't pick up on our scent. I'm going to need an alibi, as I'll be the first one that Ronon suspects. Even though he's starting to warm up to me, I am one of the only people who knows its whereabouts, so I'll be the most likely culprit. If there was someone else who could do it...

"I have an idea."

Kohl raises an eyebrow. "What?"

"There's a champion", I begin, suddenly convinced that my idea is going to be our best. "His name is Jackson. I knew him when we were children. He's one of the fastest, stealthy people I've ever met. He always won hide and seek because he could blend and hide in plain sight. Jackson knows how to go unnoticed. Especially from the eyes of magic. He has a trick or two up his sleeve."

"Okay...what about him? What does he have to do with this?"

"We help him escape," I speculate. "He gets out of the labyrinth. He steals the stone whilst Ronon is busy with the tournament. It'll be a while before he notices that one of the champions is missing. That should give Jackson enough time to steal the emerald and get out of the castle. Ronon will have no choice but to look for him. And then when he realises that the emerald is gone, he'll think Jackson has something to do with it."