Chapter 28: Given 'em Hell

Edythe's P.O.V.

Waking had felt like a dream, and it was as if the world around me was nothing but a dream plain with endless torture and pain. Even my running thoughts and restless dreams had been kinder to me than reality.

The rest had brought me some pause. I made myself look long and hard at Kohl's covered body to remind myself that pain is the cost of living. Had I not forced myself to face the truth, I feared I would retreat into my mind's fantasies and never return. Kohl's death has reminded me why I have fought so hard, and his death has given meaning to all of this pain and suffering.

I will do what I can when the rebels arrive. They will come, that is certain, and all hell will break loose. I do not expect to survive this, and I will have to take the lives Ronon has stolen if I do. I will do it. Kohl gave me a choice to do this, and I will honour his death by seeing it through.

The knights prepare themselves for the final trial they must face. I have always had faith in them, but somehow I know they will live because, like me, they now have a bone to pick with Ronon. If survival wasn't enough to drive us, now it is pure spit that keeps us going.  

"Thank you", I voice the first words I have spoken since yesterday. The chatter and preparation behind me stills, silence taking the cells. "Thank you for teaching me that, no matter how damaged a person can be; there is always still hope for them."

"Edythe," Arthur begins, his voice carrying between the cells. "Don't start giving us the goodbye speech–"

"I'm not", I counter, turning on my heel to face them. As expected, they all look upon me as if I am a porcelain doll that may break at the slightest touch, one wrong word shattering the pieces. "I only mean to thank you for having faith in me, even when I don't."

"Of course. Always" Arthur vows.

The two of us meet at the bars between the cells. The others remain quiet, letting us have our moment.

"It's going to get messy."

Arthur shrugs. "When isn't it?"

I smirk flatly, with no emotion behind my eyes. I'm ready. "The arena will be designed to kill you. Don't trust the other champions."

"I expected nothing less", Arthur chimes, unspeakable energy radiating between us. "What will you do?"

My smirk grows into a sadistic grin. "I'm going to kill a wolf."

"Give 'em hell", Arthur instructs, a smirk playing his lips. 

The two of us grasp each other's forearms. It is a gesture that I have seen the knights share, but I have never shared the embrace. This is a new acceptance of me, an acknowledgement that I have am a warrior like them, even if I can not be knighted by law. I feel like that gesture accepts me as a Pendragon.

I never enjoyed taking the last name, seeing as the pain and torment that Uther had inflicted. But now, I take the last name gladly, for Arthur is my true family. He always has been, and now he always will be.

The cell door opens to the knights' cell, guards flooding the room. "It's time, boys!" one calls, his men now occupying the cell.

Gwaine hits away the two men shoving at him, but to no success, being dragged from the cell before I can utter a word of goodbye. I'd expect that was Ronon's request to take the knights before I can farewell them. The thought only fuels the new flame that has ignited within me. Elyan is taken next, the knight giving into the pull, unlike Gwaine.

Percival shoves the guards away, already making to follow Gwaine and Elyan. The guards don't protest, following behind him. Arthur and I share a quick nod, a silent farewell before he is dragged harshly away from the bars. My eyes catch Leon's for a moment. No words need to be said as we share but a moment of understanding, small smiles of farewells playing on our lips. We hold each other's gaze until the knight is taken from my view.

The cells fall silent in their absence.

"You're giving us severe whiplash, you know?" Merlin chimes, his face now bruised beyond recognition.

I glance at him. "Yeah, I'm doing that to myself."

Merlin chuckles lowly, grasping his side to contain the pain. "So, we're back in the game?"

"Oh yeah. Big time."

***

The cell door swings open, Merlin and I standing with its burst. My breath hitches at the sight of Ronon draped in a large black fur cloak. Blaze stands behind him by his side with his signature Cheshire smile.

"If you're going to kill me, Ronon, please get on with it", I beg. I have lost the will to feel or to fear. All I want is for all of this to be over, and I will do what I have to to see the rebel's plan done.

"Not today, Edythe", Ronon assures, stepping further into the cell. He glances down at Kohl's covered body rolling his eyes in amusement. "You're one of my favourite pets", he purrs. "I would hate to see you wasted."

"So, what's the plan?" I sneer, my arms limp at my sides. "To rot in this cell, forced to live beside Kohl's decaying body for the rest of forever", I challenge, sickened by my own words becoming a reality.

"Although that does sound entertaining", Ronon chimes, turning to face me as he paces the cell. "I have other plans for you. Even the servant," he adds, stopping beside Merlin to stare down at him. "Yes, even he'll have a part to play. I admire his loyalty to you and the knights. He could be of use."

Merlin glowers at Ronon. "I'll never do anything for you."

Ronon chuckles. "Of course, you won't", he winks. "You're lucky I like you, Merlin. There's something about you...something I can't put my finger on."

Merlin and I share a glance.

"Don't worry, you'll all have your parts to play later", he assures, turning for the cell door. "But for now, we have a tournament to attend! And I would sure hate for you to miss out on seeing your friends suffer."

Guards enter the cell, grabbing onto Merlin and me, dragging us to the exit. Eventually, they allow us to move independently, making our way out of the labyrinth. I look through the now-empty cells, every single barred room an echoing stone cave left behind with the faint whispers of its deceased habitats and soon to be dead champions.

Even the dark halls seem empty, with only a few guards stationed throughout the dark castle. The final trial is everyone's favourite, and no one is willing to miss out.

I feel tired, but the knights and Merlin give me strength. I pray to the gods that Leitta and her crew know what they are doing. I hope they chose the right moment.

Light blinds us as we enter the great hall, headed for the ledge that oversees the arena. At the tip is a throne seated for Ronon to oversee the event. I take in a deep breath as I see it below. Hundreds of men and women surround it, seated to see the horrors within.

Ronon takes a seat on his throne, his black cloak falling around him like a wave. Merlin and I are pushed to join him, standing by his side to oversee the possible end of our friends. I begin to tap my foot as I do the math and figure out what time of day it is.

Leitta said they would begin their riot at dusk. That seems like only less than an hour or so away. I hope that's not too long. I pray that the knights and Arthur may be able to fight and stay alive that long.