Part 6: Try As I May

"Now it's your turn to leave," Yolarie said.

Before I could protest, she immediately changed her mind, "Actually, I'm coming with you. They'll suspect I'm one of your friends and try to interrogate me right?"

I opened my mouth, then closed it again. What could I say? My mind was on a hangover clock, and her intelligence was the best bet.

"Better in and out together than separated from each other," she said.

I stared at her for a moment.

Not so long ago I believed it was better if it was one instead of the other.

Why didn't she? What if both of us lost this battle when one could have at least made it out? Better one than none.

She placed some mouth masks on the table, sliding a pocket knife into a case before hiding it in her panties, then searched into a kitchen drawer for a gun.

She was prepped for anything.

"Do you trust me, Zy?" she asked as she noticed me staring.

I did. I really did. I just didn't trust him.

"Yeah..." I sorta lied, "I do."

•••

I looked into the mirror of the bathroom. Pulling on my hood and strapping the mask around my mouth.

I couldn't get the sound of that clock out of my head.

That's it.

That room in the club castle.

I couldn't risk Yolarie and I didn't want her to worry for me any longer.

I slid through the window of one of the bedrooms, leaving a note on the dresser.

It read:
"I promise you, I'll be back.
Love, Zyla."

•••

I looked at the lifeless building. Of course it's closed. Who goes to a night club in the mornings?

I pulled one of the handles of the door.
Open? Weird.

Yeah, I had second thoughts about this.

"Zyla!"

I jumped and elbowed the person behind me.

Yolarie??! Why was she here?

"I'm so sorry," I mumbled.

She pulled my ear. "I think I told you we are in this together. I'm not stupid I knew you'd try some absurd shit like this."

I rolled my eyes, "Alright momma Yoyo."

I entered the club and Yolarie whispered, "I'll stay in here and keep watch. You scream if you see the slightest motion, even if it's just an ant, a sperm, squid, or-"

I groaned, "I got it! Sheesh lawd."

She sighed and placed her hands on her hips.

"You promised you'd come back to me, Zy. I fufilled mine to you. Promise me again that you'll fulfill yours."

She held her pinky up and I wrapped mine around hers.

"I promise."

And with that, I proceeded to the most gorgeous and mysterious room in the castle.

•••

I had walked up every right staircase, but as I looked in the room that should have been, I saw nothing but darkness.

I immediately started to retreat and then I saw a candle flame arising.

This wasn't the room. It looked like a freaking office closet full of books.

The candlelight casted a shadow, and it wasn't mine.

I looked straight ahead to see the killer, sitting on the floor with chocolate covered strawberries on a golden plate and five guns spread out in front of him.

He smirked as he twirled a knife between his fingers and looked up at me.

Putting his finger to his lips, he gave me that blue glare.

I knew better than to scream now.

"Zyla?! Everything good?" I heard Yolarie yell.

The killer shook his head and tapped his knife on his boot.

Should I speak? What do I do?

He tilted his head as permission.

"I'm fine!" I responded, holding back tears.

I looked back at him. Despise was an understatement when it came to how I felt about this man.

I started to panic and lash out empty threats, "Wait until I tell the boss of this club that you broke in. They'll sue you. Every case. They'll find the truth, and once the police have you, they'll realize it's not me who killed those people."

He chuckled as he took a bite of a strawberry, placing the leaf back on the plate, before getting up to stand over me. "Is that so dear?" his voice husked into my ear.

Reeking of death and metal, he reached behind me to shut the door, placing rope around my wrists. And struggle as I may, I knew I was doomed.

"Silly girl," he said, "I am the boss."