Part 17: Share of Scars

(Trigger Warnings⚠️)

•••

"Titus, they'll kill you, just kill me!" a woman pleaded.

"I'm not doing that."

She held his face, crying, "I love you, but why must you love me back? You only suffer..."

He almost responded until the woman was grabbed.

"Titus. On your knees," a man said.

"Yes sir," Titus got on one knee, bowing his head as boiling hot water was sprayed against his wounded torso.

The woman screamed "Stop!!! Please don't!!"

The masked man whipped his back before tracing the slash with a sword.

Titus clenched his fists, "Close your eyes, Myra!!"

She cried and shook her head.

"How long did you know this woman was alive, Titus?" the man asked.

He bled, sweating, "Two years, sir."

The man whipped him again, "That's how long you will be in isolation, understood?"

Titus closed his eyes and grunted, "Understood."

The man went over and traced the blade along Titus's eye.

Myra fell to her knees in tears, "No please..."

"You damned whore." He shot the woman.

Titus stared at the her in deep regret and immediately got up to attack the man.

Despite all the blood running down his body and the weakness that dared to overcome him, he made sure the man knew suffering.

He threw him into the wall, choking the man with his own gun before stabbing him to death.

"Titus!"

He wouldn't quit.

"Titus!!!"

He stopped and dropped the man, looking at my brother, "The hell do you want?"

"Unless you plan on getting life sentenced to prison, or even worse, executed, I suggest you use your time wisely."

Titus aimed a gun at my brother's head, "Your men killed the only person I ever loved, kid. Time is lost cause."

"Is it really though?" Valerian asked.

"It is," Titus spat and put the gun down, laughing, "Send me to hell for eternity for all I care."

My brother clapped, "I like that attitude. You have the perfect mentality for the job."

Titus went over to the dead woman and took off her necklace. It glowed at his touch. "We were going to be together until the end of time...why her?"

Valerian ignored his mumbles and stared at the tattoo on Titus's arm and back, whispering, "You truly are a one-winged devil..."

Titus put the woman's necklace around his neck and stood up, throwing the bloody knife into the ground.

"I'm not joining whatever shitty job you're pulling here, Val. Find someone else."

"Touché," My brother smiled, "I understand it may be too late for you, but there are many women who could be saved from men like him."

Titus grabbed a jacket, loading a gun, "Your point?"

"What if you used your skills for good? To save others and rid what brings them pain?"

Titus picked up the dead woman with tears in his eyes, starting to walk away.

"Maybe..." Valerian looked at the clock jewel around his neck, "buy them some time."

•••

I gasped and looked around me, about to throw up.

Duggard turned towards me, "Are you okay?" he turned on the lamp and sat up in the bed.

I felt my heart. It was beating at the speed of sound.

What kind of nightmare was this?

Why did that woman remind me so much of myself?

What is this feeling?

"Is everything alright?" he asked again, pulling on his shirt.

"I...I gotta go," I ran out of the bedroom door.

"Get back here!" he growled.

I rushed downstairs to the front door and it swung open before I could touch it.

Easton was making out with some woman and he stopped when he saw me, "Oh hey. Wanna join us?"

"No."

"What's the matter sweet lips? Too moral for a threesome?" he teased, shrugging his pierced eyebrow at me.

I was about to run past them, but a hand grabbed my arm.

"Why are you leaving so soon?" Duggard huffed, clear anger in his eyes.

I stared at the door in front of me and elbowed Duggard in the stomach, making a run for it.

I have gotten so used to running by now that the only thing that was tricky to come by was my destination.

Nowhere to go...

Where was I planning on escaping to?
The air?

I felt a bullet go through my side right then and stopped suddenly.

I was too afraid to look down at the wound.
I just fell to my knees defeatedly.

Why was it so quiet?

What is going on?

What if this is the end?

I won't have to run any longer...

That thought almost pleased me.

I saw a dark figure run towards me, saying something I couldn't make out.

I dropped to my side.

Everything got blurry and turned black.

I couldn't recall anything. Not even a moment as ringing sounded in my ears.

Was I going to die?