Part 19: Better Days

(⚠️)

•••

"I'm going to drop us in it, alright?"

"Wigga you better not!"

We both fell into the water and I was flapping my arms like a dying fish.

I started to panic, and he came up to the surface, holding me. "I got you, okay? Just breathe."

I kept splashing, and he sighed heavily, kissed me to silence my squeals. Compared to the cold water, his lips were so warm.

He pulled back after a moment, "You okay now?"

I look around me. He had kept me afloat.

"Yeah," I looked up at him, holding onto him for dear life.

He smirked and let me go.

I wrapped my arms tighter around his neck, "Stop!"

"Your fear is bigger than the problem, dear."

"Boy shuddup, I done told yo ass."

I kept murmuring and he laughed.

He noticed I'd always revert back to my south black granny language when things weren't going expected to plan.

"What's funny? You better pay for my hair after thi-"

Oh.

I had let go.

"Congratulations," he said, "you can float."

I quickly held back onto him and he saw I was shivering, "Back to shore?"

"Yes please!"

•••

We both sat under the bridge in the grass, looking out at the moon hitting the river.

"What will you do?" I asked him.

"What do you mean?"

"I-" I thought back to my dream, "Nothing."

He rose an eyebrow and laid back on his hands, "Hm..."

"Hm??" I mocked him.

"Hm," he nodded.

I started to laugh and he smiled.

"You should probably take your shirt off so you don't get sick," he suggested.

"If I do, you have to take off yours too."

He fell silent.

Why was he distant on me seeing his scars?

I crawled over to him and sat on his lap, cupping his face in my hands, "Is it true that you suffered for not killing someone?"

He looked at himself through my eyes, not even questioning how I knew about the oath that he broke. "Yeah..."