Part 18: Fall of Faith

I felt a cool towel rub against my side and I opened my dreary eyes, sitting up

"Lay back down, Zyla," I heard a low voice say.

I winced and laid back.

I was so close to the sky.

Was I on the roof of a building?

Of course.

Not even hospitals would take me in because we're all over the news as a threat.

"Titus..."

He grabbed me and placed me on his lap, "Lay back and relax, okay?"

I really wanted to hit him so badly, but I did as he said and laid back against him.

"Ow!!"

He kissed my shoulder, "I know. Just hang on tight." The gravelly softness of his voice near my neck gave me a chill I never knew.

He finished wrapping the gauze around my stomach, patting where the wound was, "Does that hurt?"

"No..."

I felt him staring at me, and attempted to get up but he pulled me back and trapped me in his arms, "Just stay here."

He's so clingy!

I shook my head, "I'm through."

"Well I'm not."

I couldn't hold it in anymore and I pushed him down, grabbing his neck with my two weak hands.

I wanted him to die, didn't I?

Why couldn't I find the strength to squeeze anymore?

He looked up at me, "Such a fragile little thing."

I smacked him, "Shut up!"

He rolled on top of me, holding my arms down, "Are we always going to address each other like this?"

I got silent.

He searched my eyes, "It's as if we're afraid to say those three little words."

"I hate you," I spat.

He smiled, "Yeah...those."

His necklace started to glow and he kissed me.

I didn't fight back this time. How could I win a war that I wanted to lose?

What took over me was the opposite of hatred, and that's what I was scared of most.

I wanted him with me, but there was just so much error in every trial.

Those unspoken words filled my heart. Do I just give in only to fall apart again? Or do I flee?

Titus released me and I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him harder. I'd give in...just a tad.

He laughed between the heavy kisses, "Did you miss me for once?"

I backed away breathlessly and put my hand on his cheek, running my thumb over the scar of his eye. "Nope," I responded jokingly.

Of course I did.

We both laughed and he held me closer.

We'd hurt each other, heal each other, have hope, get broken, and repeat.

An endless cycle of what I wanted but knew couldn't be.

His smile faded as he looked into my eyes, "Why are we like this?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's because a certain someone killed the people I care about most," I got up, remembering.

"But Yolari-"

"Can't remember me."

"What?"

"I saw her, Titus. You could of at least told me you brainwashed her."

He sat up, clenching his fists, "It wasn't me, I promise you."

I looked back at him.

Titus was many terrible things, but one thing he wasn't, was a liar.

It was almost as if he valued the truth more than a life.

I looked at the necklace around his neck. It reminded me of the one from my nightmare, but now it was accompanied with another necklace.

It was a gold bullet with my name carved on it.

"Were you sent to kill me?"

"Yeah," he said, standing to looking over the roof of the building with me.

So it was him. He meant to miss my vital spot.

Before I could ask him about my nightmare, he stood on the edge of the roof.

"Titus, what the fuck are you doing?"

He took off the chain from his neck and smiled sadly as he whispered, "All I have are these broken clocks."

Why is he making a SZA reference right now?

"Titus..."

"My time is almost up dear, but you can always keep going."

"W-what?"

He put the necklace around my neck, chuckling, "If we weren't enemies, perhaps we'd be a different story."

"Titus..." my heart was dropping.

He backed away from me, "Well Zyla? What do you say? Can I have all your time until mine runs out?"

All I could do was whisper his name at every sentence he said to me. What was happening?

He nodded, looking at my shocked face, "I understand."

He closed his eyes before spreading his arms, and fell back.

"Oh my god!" I ran to the edge, "Titus!!"

"Come on and join me," he laughed.

"Hell no!"

"Trust me!!"

Before he could fall too far, I backed away then sprinted, jumping off the edge.

He had caught me yet I was still screaming.

He clicked a button in his jacket and I suddenly felt the air get lighter.

"Open your eyes."

I took my head out of the crook of his neck.

We both were floating over the city.

He smiled, "Not too bad, right?"

I shook and held onto him tighter, "This is such a white boy move."

"Nah..."

"Yes."

He bit his lip as I bit mine.

Once he caught himself mimicking me, he snapped out of it, and I started screaming again.

"Titus!!! Why are we heading towards the river???!!"

His eyes widened, "Oh shit."

Definitely a white boy move.