Bloom (Pt. 1)

"Is this some kind of joke?" Katsuki spat, eyes shifting between the two very guilty looking people in front of him.

 Deku was still word vomiting, eyes flickering from the cracks in the pavement beneath Katsuki’s feet to the bumpy wall next to him without ever settling on him himself, and there was something grim in the hollows of Mr. Yagi's taut features, the shadows stretching wide and long down his bony face. The expression struck Katsuki as tired and worn, reserved.

 An emaciated hand came up to clamp over Deku's mouth, plummeting the open air into an uncomfortable silence. Pink crawled up Deku’s neck in what he assumed was embarrassment, but with the way his eyes were cast off to the side, investigating the ground, maybe it was shame.

 “I suppose I should explain, Young Bakugou,” Mr. Yagi began, and Katsuki readied himself to listen. Whatever was happening was clearly significant. “You and Young Midoriya have become increasingly inseparable — it was a matter of time before you found out. I suppose it will be better for all of us to just get it out now.

 “Young Midoriya…” Deku rubbed bashfully at his arm, looking back up to meet Katsuki’s eyes. “...will soon no longer be quirkless.”

  Deku’s not gonna be- hah?

  “HAAAH?!”

 “You see, the power I have is not one I was born with…”

 Mr. Yagi then revealed both his true identity and the true nature of his quirk — of One For All — and how the one to next shoulder the weight of that destiny would be Deku. Deku would get the future he’d always wanted; he would become the next Symbol of Peace, a great hero who fought to save, but for as long as he held that power he would also be saddled with great burdens beyond his comprehension.

 All Might told him of the sludge incident, how Deku’s actions inspired his own, and described to him things he’d already known. Deku’s golden heart, his resolve and determination, his hope that never faltered, never wavered, faded, shrunk.

 Told him everything.

 And when All Might put his hands together, pleading Katsuki to stay quiet about it, who the hell was he to say anything other than yes?

○•

 “K-Kacchan, are you mad…?” Izuku worried his lower lip between his teeth. Kacchan hadn’t said anything since they left the alleyway, and Izuku didn’t think he could take the suffocating silence hanging between them a minute longer, much less the entire walk home.