Sunrise (Pt. 1)

Izuku let out a shaky breath of relief as he entered the school and nobody seemed to notice anything. He'd been so scared everyone would figure it out immediately because of his lack of experience with makeup. Thankfully, though, it seemed that while he certainly wasn't a guru, his makeup skills were decent enough to pass. It was pretty simple, in all honesty- all he did was add some concealer, foundation, and a little bit of powder like the tutorial video said to.

 The real test, however, came when he was approached by Kacchan at the lockers. The blonde came up right next to him, arms crossed over his chest and his calculating eyes narrowed in a scrutinizing stare. Izuku could see the other's goons looking on in bewilderment from over his shoulder, but they didn't approach.

 Izuku was nervous, struggling to maintain eye contact and subconsciously bringing a hand up to wring into the cotton material of his uniform jacket.

 "You're nervous," Kacchan pointed out, clicking his tongue. Even after all the years of being separated by pride and insecurity, the other was still able to read him like a book. "Why the hell are you so nervous? Still think I'm gonna hit you or some shit?"

 Izuku blinked up at the taller male a few times before sagging slightly in relief. So Kacchan hadn't noticed, then. Good.

 "S-Sorry, Kacchan! I don't think you're going to hit me, I didn't mean to make you think that!" Izuku assured him, offering a sweet smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and turning towards his beat up locker to gather his things for first period.

 Kacchan leaned against the locker next to Izuku's, apparently not finished questioning him.

 "Then why're you so nervous? Think I'm so stupid I wouldn't notice?"

 "No, Kacchan! I was just… well, I guess I just still get a little nervous talking to you, even if I don't think you'll hit me," Izuku explained weakly, grabbing hold of the thick, worn spine of one of his textbooks and slipping it out. He shifted to cradle it in one arm so he could close his locker door, but he didn't end up having to, as Kacchan reached over and shut it for him.

 Kacchan huffed at the lie. Well, half-lie. Izuku did still feel a little nervous talking to Kacchan, but it wasn't enough to show outwardly, and he still wasn't even sure why. The blonde hadn't hit him since the sludge incident and his scathing insults had simmered down to childish taunts with no real heat behind them.

 "Whatever," the taller boy said, standing up straight again and shoving his hands into his pockets. He turned and headed towards class and Izuku fell into step behind him. Then, the taller boy glanced over his shoulder and said, "You have my number, shitty Deku."

 Izuku's grip on his textbook tightened, a small but genuine smile pulling at his lips. He knew what Kacchan meant; it was a reassurance, a reminder that Izuku could talk to him. Happiness swelled briefly inside him and the green haired boy skipped the rest of the way down the corridors and up the stairs, ignoring the other's exaggerated eye roll and sounds of annoyance.