Sun on the Horizon (Pt.2)

With his mother gone, Izuku turned his attention to Kacchan, who was gripping his hand like a lifeline.

 “A-Are you okay, Kacchan?” He asked hoarsely, slithering his other hand over to rest on Kacchan’s in a comforting grip.

 “I should be asking you that question, idiot,” came the gruff reply, Kacchan’s lips settling deeper into a frown. He leaned down, pressing their foreheads together to breathe in Izuku’s scent. “Knew something like this would happen. Shoulda went with you, or just told All Might, or fuckin’ something.”

 “There’s no way you could have known this would happen, Kacchan,” Izuku reassured him, pressing back up against him till the tips of their noses brushed together. “You aren’t to blame for any of this. I remember Kacchan saved me.”

 “Tch, all I did was teach that bastard a lesson and haul your dumbass to the hospital. Damaged my arms getting to you and then getting you here.”

 Now that he mentioned it, Izuku had thought he caught a glimpse of white bandages before that weren’t his. He gasped as he pushed back, taking in the gauze wrapped entirely up and down his arms. “H-How badly did you hurt them?”

 “Not enough to worry about, nerd, just some burns and pulled muscles. I fractured a wrist but it’s already almost back to normal because of medical quirks. I don’t even need a splint.”

 “Kacchan!” he exclaimed, his voice cracking on the name. He winced and lowered his volume. “Why did you push yourself so hard? You know All Might would’ve saved me.”

 “Tch, I know! But wanted to save you. I had to.” Kacchan blushed, and instead of teasing him for it or criticizing his choices, Izuku just sighed, smiled, and tugged him back down to plant a kiss on his forehead. Kacchan grumbled, but let himself be kissed, and Izuku would’ve giggled at the mock irritation in his expression if his throat weren’t so sore.

 Izuku brought up a hand to cradle his throat, and as if on cue, his mother came back brandishing a paper cup of cool water. All Might was right beside her, swallowed up by his clothes in his skinny form, with features sunken in more than usual. He fidgeted with his own cup.

 As he gulped down some of his water, All Might came up to his bedside. “Young Midoriya, I…”

 “You don’t have to say anything, All Might. It’s not your fault you didn’t notice anything… I— I purposefully hid it from you, if I hadn’t—”

 “—No, Young Midoriya, please.” Tears welled up in his eyes, cerulean irises shimmering with the wetness. “Please do not forgive me so easily. I have not yet earned it.”